Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 01-05-2013, 04:02 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 317/295/180

Height: 5'5"

Default What are your "Trigger Foods" and how do you satisfy them?

Mine is pizza! It's my weakness and I'm always craving it. Is this anyone else's weakness and if so, how do you deal with it to make it a low cal option?

What are your trigger foods and what do you use to satisfy the craving for them?

I'm struggling through not giving into my craving.
Sweetmerlot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 04:37 PM   #2  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

I'm not sure if you're using the term "trigger food" correctly.

I'm not a linguistics expert but I would think a trigger food is something you consume that causes something else to happen. Pulling the trigger causes the gun to fire. The trigger food causes _________ to happen. Could be a headache - could be massive cravings etc.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 05:31 PM   #3  

I read a book that described them that way and referred to them as such but I could be wrong. To clarify, what I mean is the foods that cause you to over eat or the foods that you have a difficult time facing that might cause you to cheat when you are otherwise doing great.
Old 01-05-2013, 05:35 PM   #4  

The book is "Joy's Life Diet". Good book. She refers to trigger foods as those that trigger you to over eat.
Old 01-05-2013, 05:52 PM   #5  

I think I know what you mean in regards to trigger. My word for myself might be calling them impulse foods.

Something like pizza or bread or chips starts my feeding frenzy like I can't get enough of them (even if I am not hungry) and just stuff my face until they are G-O-N-E, regardless of the size of package.

My cravings for them used to be insatiable, in a sickening kind of way. The only way I can cope with it is to keep them out of the house. Sounds really weird but I won't buy them (anymore) if I am in the store but if they were in my house, all bets are off!

I was talking to my husband about this the other day and I might never be able to have those items again. Sounds drastic but I can't be trusted with them, plus they create a want for more.

I wish you luck with your pizza cravings! Maybe you can make them in a low fat version to keep you satisfied, I know the feeling you have!
elvislover324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 05:59 PM   #6  

My weakness is Red Velvet Cake/Cupcakes. Oh how I love thee. I need a 12 step program for Red Velvet addiction.
Mantuagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 06:23 PM   #7  
Always FatGirlVSFitGirl

S/C/G: 206/180/155

Height: 5'3 1/2"

years ago WW called them red light foods, red light would start some bad eating habits you couldn't stop, yellow light you could stop after a few too many, green light you could eat normally, in control.

It's good to identify those foods and come up with a strategy for handling when you come across them, no way you're never eating pizza again! We're going tomorrow.

We use "treat" days on the weekend, this weekend we switched from our normal Friday weigh-in day to Sunday. Basically we plan for having it, whatever it might be, knowing that you can have it, just not this minute, can help get you through a rough spot.

I can often trick myself so to speak, by saying, you can have that tomorrow, not today, by tomorrow I'll usually have moved on.

I think somewhere on this board is a thread on pizza alternatives, in fact I'm sure of it, people had options using tortillas for crust, etc. I'll see if I can find and post a link for you.

hopefully this works : http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/food...ing-pizza.html

best of luck

Last edited by kelijpa; 01-05-2013 at 06:30 PM. Reason: add link to thread
kelijpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 06:31 PM   #8  
Always FatGirlVSFitGirl

S/C/G: 206/180/155

Height: 5'3 1/2"

BTW, I have a couple trigger/impulse/red light foods, milk chocolate, white potatoes, tortilla chips....

staying away, kind of like going through detox, after eating seems to work for me, feeling like they're losing control now that the holidaze are over...

Last edited by kelijpa; 01-05-2013 at 06:33 PM.
kelijpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 07:33 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 210/170/when im proud!

Height: 5'9

Chips or any sort of small snack food that I can eat mindlessly. I have to eat them all to be satisfied and when I finish, I still am not.
EStew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 10:22 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 298/ticker/175

Height: 5'7"

Freshly baked chocolate chip cookies. Oh. My. God. I lose all semblance of control.
Garnet2727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 10:56 PM   #11  

Yes, I've often heard the term used this way - mine are Devil's Food Cake (oh, the honesty in that name!) and ice cream. I pretty much avoid the cake or portion it out and hide the rest. For ice cream, I definitely have to portion it and walk away. I also look for lower calorie and sugar free options (this helps me, though I'm not sure it helps everyone, and some prefer the 'real thing'). Good luck!!
LoveChocolate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 12:07 AM   #12  

S/C/G: HW: 260 Restart: 230/223/223.8

Height: 5'6

Chips, fast food, sweets, potatoes. Especially when my fiance starts eating one of my "triggers" it is awful. but grapes and my LC meals have helped tons!
Brandibooxoxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 05:17 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 178/168/125

Height: 5'3.5"

Crunchy snacks - specifically Doritos. Oh, how I wish I could just magically HATE Doritos with a passion. That'd be nice.
oshka77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 05:56 PM   #14  
Dukanista

S/C/G: high263/current257/ticker/198

Height: 5'7"

for anyone whose trigger food is chips, try making homemade kale chips.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/m...ipe/index.html

They are really good - light and crispy and they really meet that need to crunch.
April Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 10:39 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 325/326/160

Height: 6'2"

Pizza, and doritos.
musicalchick is offline   Reply With Quote