roasted broccolli cauliflower

• Got a newsletter at work today with a roasted broccolli and cauliflower recipe, they cited Good Housekeeping, I just googled and found a number of recipes. Sounds really easy and looks yummy, preheat oven to 425 deg, toss broccolli and cauliflower and a few garlic cloves with a tbsp or 2 of olive oil, salt/pepper to taste, roast in 9 x 13 pan for about 10-15 minutes until browned but not burnt.

I can't wait to try, I love the mashed broccolli and cauliflower, so this should be great.

• I like broccoli. It's so easy to cook and nutritious

• brocco dance!
  • Roasting is my favorite way to make veggies. When I first started roasting veggies, I went on a "kick" and experimented with so many, many veggies, from potatoes and parsnips to green beans, kale and brussels sprouts, and just about everything in between.

I can't even tell you what posessed me to try roasting brussels sprouts (because I've hated them with a passion for 40 years), but roasting made me fall in love with brussels sprouts (well, only the roasted ones).
  • I do that same recipe with lots of garlic and add the zest and juice of a lemon towards the end. This is the only way I really like broccoli.
  • I roast everything. lol. It's my favorite way to eat most vegetables.

I like doing this with cauliflower and adding a bit of curry powder. Not enough to be spicy, just enough to add some flavor. It also looks gorgeous!
  • kaplods~thanks for the idea, roasted brussel sprouts, I like them fresh and then cooked, but not alot of variety in making them, have made them with lemon and dill

mayness~can't wait to try with some curry!

Lemongrab~I'm a big broccolli fan, too!!
  • I'm a huge fan of roasting french cut fresh green beans and small baby yukon gold potatoes with pearl onions. Mmm...

I consistantly burn my broccoli and cauliflower?? I follow the directions and then something smells like burning..
  • Quote:
    I consistantly burn my broccoli and cauliflower?? I follow the directions and then something smells like burning..
    Try lightly steaming it first. Then toss it with some cumin, red pepper flakes and coriander and some olive oil. Lightly steaming helps a lot.
  • I was snooping thru the threads this morning and happened upon the sprouts discussion, we just had steamed brussel sprouts last night. I've been roasting them for the last couple of years with carrots, onions, cauliflower and olive oil. But............my DH likes them steamed better so that's how I cooked them last night. Blah No comparison to roasted but the cumin, pepper flakes and coriander might help. Thanks for the tip, I'll try again. Steaming them does cut down on the calories since you don't need oil to cook them.
    Quote:
    some cumin, red pepper flakes and coriander and some olive oil.