Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 12-18-2012, 01:47 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 240/225/160

Height: 5 foot 3 inches

Default Healthy alternative to sweets

What is a healthy alternative to sweets? I would like to possibly be able to make a healthy yet sweet tasting snack or shake, something to curb my sweet teeth. Anyone have any suggestions or find what works for them. I am jumping back on the bandwagon and sweets are something quite challenging for me to avoid completely. Thank you!
angelsandfairies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 01:59 PM   #2  
I Will Because I Can

S/C/G: 167/130

Height: 5'6

I still have sweets in moderation, but if you're looking for a healthier sugar kick... How about fruit and yogurt? I usually have a cup of grapes with a little tub of fat free vanilla yogurt daily... 155 calories total. I also have a cup of diet hot cocoa every night... 25 calories.
OhThePlaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 02:00 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 232/ticker/140

Height: 5'7"

I don't have much of a sweet tooth, but I personally enjoy frozen Cool Whip, especially if you like ice cream. It's really delicious...especially with fruit such as frozen blueberries or blackberries!
MedChick87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 02:06 PM   #4  
Fear does not = fate

S/C/G: 295/140/nogoal :)

Height: 5'2"

Fat free cool whip and sugar free jello or pudding? That would be a nice dessert/sweet type of treat
owlsteazombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 02:19 PM   #5  
babybat

Height: 5'7

Like everyone else said, cool whip is good.
Or skinny cow ice cream is alright once in a while (they have stuff thats under 40 cals)
Babybat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 02:19 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 133.4/123.2/115

I love banana ice cream. I put about half a tablespoon of natural peanut butter then blend it at the end, but my daughter likes nutella blended into it or chocolate chips stirred in.
Munchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 02:22 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 240/225/160

Height: 5 foot 3 inches

I love cool whip! That is a really good idea, and to even eat it with fruit. I will def have to pick some up on my way home from work tonight. Fat free/sugar free pudding is delish. The only thing I am concerned with, doesnt it have high fructose corn syrup as main ingredient? Is too much of that not good for weight loss?
angelsandfairies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 02:31 PM   #8  
Krissy Missy

S/C/G: 181/see ticker/120

Height: 5'2"

I love black seedless grapes. They're sweet and flavorful and aren't squishy. My favorite fruit!

I also eat apples daily, often with a smear of nutella and a few drops of natural peanut butter drizzled on top. Yum!

munchy - Banana ice cream? Genius! I'm so going to make this.
Missy Krissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 02:33 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 350/296/125

Height: 177cm

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelsandfairies View Post
I love cool whip! That is a really good idea, and to even eat it with fruit. I will def have to pick some up on my way home from work tonight. Fat free/sugar free pudding is delish. The only thing I am concerned with, doesnt it have high fructose corn syrup as main ingredient? Is too much of that not good for weight loss?
High Fructose Corn Syrup is the "evil food" du jour. Right up there with aspartame and Splenda. It's called high fructose because the percentage of sugars it contains are slighly higher in fructose than glucose. It's still SUGAR. It is just as "bad" as honey, maple syrup, simple syrup, brown rice syrup, sugar cane juice, etc. (other forms of sugar syrup that contain percentages of glucose and fructose similar to HFCS). It all turns to sugar which your body in turn uses as turbo-fuel and turns it to fat. I avoid all sugars equally when it comes to sweets but the ocassional treat won't derail your weightloss if you're focused and you stay on track afterward. I am just so tired of food fear mongering... so much mis-information out there....

Edit: forgot to add my favourite sweet treats!

SF Jello with cool whip (yum yum yum!)
diet brownies from scratch (no butter, applesauce, Splenda/Sugar blend)
blancmange/cooked pudding (Splenda, non fat milk, cornstarch, cocoa or pb for different flavours)
Apples with PB (this gets me through the day. LOVE IT!)
Tea with Splenda or SF syrups from Starbucks or Torani

Last edited by Skellig19; 12-18-2012 at 02:41 PM.
Skellig19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 04:22 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 222/Ticker/140

Height: 5'4"

I just recently started baking with blanched almond flour. I was really missing baked treats. If you google almond flour recipes you can easily find some that are super easy and delicious. I mostly use splenda for the sweetener. The almond flour has a nice light almond flavor which I find delicious and the texture comes out really nice. Almond flour is much lower carb and higher protein than regular wheat flour, but does contain some fat. I have found that I can sometimes eliminate or significantly reduce the other fat in the recipe. You still have to exercise portion control but you end up with a really healthy lower calorie, higher protein baked treat. So far I have made "donut" muffins and pumpkin bars and both came out very good, and I've been eating them for breakfast.
annieway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 05:32 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 292/144/145

Height: 5'10"

I usually go for a chocolate protein shake with some banana in it when I'm looking for something sweet. Blend it up with some crushed ice and it's pretty decent. It also fills me up so that I don't feel like I'm going to binge on it and drink a gallon.

I envy people who can do the cool whip thing. If I had cool whip in the house, my first thought would be that I ought to have some pound cake to go with it and then I'd have eaten an entire tub of cool whip and an entire pound cake.
Robin41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 08:54 PM   #12  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Height: 5'3"

Peel an apple, put some cinnamon on it and microwave it for a few minutes. It's SOOOOOO good and tastes like apple pie!
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 09:47 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 145 / 102 / ?

Height: 5'

Sugar-free hard candy--9 calories per. Diet hot chocolate--25 calories per. Crystal Lite, about 9 calories.
HungryHungryHippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 09:51 PM   #14  

Height: 5'8"

Sweets are my weakness overall. The only way I have been able to get a hold of my sweets addiction (this time around) is to educate myself about how my body uses and digests various sugars, such as lactose, glucose, fructose, etc. I have done pretty well at weaning myself off the really intense sweets that are flavored with corn syrup, table sugar, maple syrup etc., and switching over to less intense sweets such as honey and blackstrap molasses and unsweetened applesauce. I find that when I have less intense sweet in the morning, I don't crave as much sweet later in the day. I also try to get a sweet that has some other nutritional value, like minerals, just for my own health.

My personal experience is that when I used splenda, I would crave sugar tastes and sweet afterward, just as if I had eaten real sugar, so it didn't break the roller coaster for me.

I also give myself a daily treat. I have had dark chocolate everyday since starting my new way of life. I have had a few bad days where I have gone overboard, but overall I am doing really well. I decided I want to make sweets a part of my life since I enjoy them so much.

One neat thing I have noticed is that since choosing less intense sweets, other flavors have come out in my food. Vegetables are more exciting, and a cold orange is intense!

Last edited by Ferny1730; 12-18-2012 at 09:53 PM.
Ferny1730 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 10:30 PM   #15  
Japanese Student

S/C/G: 230/ticker/120

Height: 5'3''

Recently me and my mother have been going to this blog and picking up healthy dessert recipes, if you're more into cooking. I think a lot of it is vegan, and they really taste pretty good for being healthy.
Spiritix is offline   Reply With Quote