Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 09-05-2012, 10:13 AM   #16  

You totally need a fast absorbing protein and it will help keep you full. Another idea is to try Greek yogurt rather than regular. Greek has more protein and has much less sugar.
Tami1321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 06:39 PM   #17  
Always FatGirlVSFitGirl

S/C/G: 206/180/155

Height: 5'3 1/2"

some great ideas here, I sometimes eat an avacado with just some salt and pepper on it and always feel very satisified after, I never thought of blending one, that sounds great.

I was just reading something about greek vs. regular yogurt, they talked about making their own, then you could have it the texture/strength you prefer.

I also saw an interesting site called greenmonster, it had alot of recipes for green smoothies.

best to all
kelijpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 11:42 PM   #18  

S/C/G: 243/190/150

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAgreeneyes View Post
I wish I liked greek yogurt but it taste too bitter alone. I may see what it taste like in a smoothie. What kind do you use/flavor/brand?
I like to use cheap old great value (walmart) fat free plain yogurt. I put a coffee filter in the bottom of a strainer then dump in the yogurt. Let it drain over a bowl to catch the liquid. It gets nice and thick like greek yogurt but it's cheaper. I use it instead of sour cream for a lot of things, too. My next project with it is to tory it with onion soup mix to see how it works for dip.

Since I count calories, I just see how many servings are in the container, drain it, measure (weigh) the part that is left and divide it into that many new servings. I don't try to count any caloric losses for the fluid drained out. No clue how you would figure that. It's probably negligible anyhow. I just like that thick texture. And the price!

Barb
angelskeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 08:21 AM   #19  
Always FatGirlVSFitGirl

great idea angel, that's basically the difference between regular and greek isn't it? the draining concentrates the yogurt.
Old 10-03-2012, 12:55 AM   #20  

S/C/G: 198/144/120

Height: 5'8

Lately I've been working out daily and I've also found that my morning shake just does't cut it. I get hungry and a drop in my blood sugar levels. Now I have to combine my shake with an apple and peanut butter if I want to keep going until lunch and not pig out on fries...
snazzyjazzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:54 PM   #21  
Always FatGirlVSFitGirl

I have become kind of addicted, to this, DH says it looks like a green nightmare to him...lol, but I really enjoy it, it's basically what I found on the internet when I googled kale smoothie.

one cup of unsweetened vanilla almond milk, a few kale leaves, stripped of that stem, blend that, then add a couple handfuls of baby spinach, blend that, then add one banana, 2 tbsps of wheat germ and one tbsp of peanut butter, blend that and drink it up, it has enough body to fill me up and I really think the greens are helping with my energy level.

I have a little iron deficiency, not enough to do more than sap some energy, I feel this is helping with that. More importantly I really like it!

best to all
Old 10-12-2012, 07:35 PM   #22  
I think I'm losing it!

S/C/G: Highest 350 308/220/160

Height: 5'5"

Try adding some cottage cheese in place of yogurt. That's protein, and you'll never know it's in there when it's all blended. It has a very mild taste and smooths out beautifully.
AwShucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 12:07 PM   #23  

S/C/G: S-218/C-170/G-159 & 24.9 BMI

Height: 5'7"-BMI-26.6=OVERWEIGHT

Quote:
Originally Posted by AwShucks View Post
Try adding some cottage cheese in place of yogurt. That's protein, and you'll never know it's in there when it's all blended. It has a very mild taste and smooths out beautifully.

Good idea! And I LOVE LOVE LOVE cottage cheese.
LAgreeneyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 08:59 AM   #24  

S/C/G: S-218/C-170/G-159 & 24.9 BMI

Height: 5'7"-BMI-26.6=OVERWEIGHT

Ok, I bought powdered protein to put in my smoothie and that didn't work. I followed the directions and only put in milk. I drank my protein shake at 7:00 AM and I was hungry at 9:30AM. But then again, I didn't have the other ingredients in there. I"ll try everything else that you all have suggested.
LAgreeneyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 08:52 PM   #25  
Always FatGirlVSFitGirl

Hope you find what you're looking for LAgreeneyes, I didn't have bananas so I went back to my oatmeal, it was filling and good, but it seemed to take so long to eat compared to drinking my smoothie...lol
I'm back to kale, baby spinach, a banana, 2 tbsps wheat germ and 1 cup unsweetened almond milk.

a friend of mine suggests brewer's yeast, I can't remember the brand name, will give you all the nutrtients you need, not sure if something is missing from your smoothie that makes you think you're hungry, but it's really because you're missing magnesium or something.