Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 09-18-2012, 10:27 PM   #1  
Hi, I'm Lauren! :)

S/C/G: SW:209 / CW:184/ GW:~160

Height: 5'4

Default Vejj-uh-bulls!

K so after some digging through my fridge/freezer today for some veggies to go with my Lean Cuisine pizza, I discovered all we had was a left over sweet potato and a raw bell pepper. Yum on the sweet potato, but not appropriate to eat with pizza! Yuck on the bell pepper unless it's in salad.

Anywho, I voiced to my mother that there were no vegetables in the house, and she said, and rightfully so, "Why don't you go to the store and buy the vegetables you'll eat? I don't know what you like." So I said to myself... why DON'T I go to the grocery store and buy my own veggies?

So I come here to get suggestions for good snacky/side type veggies. I get tired of carrot/celery sticks and broccoli. What would y'all suggest?
mimsyborogoves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 10:29 PM   #2  
Hi, I'm Lauren! :)

S/C/G: SW:209 / CW:184/ GW:~160

Height: 5'4

OO! Does edamame count as a vegetable?! If so I am SO getting it!
mimsyborogoves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 10:44 PM   #3  

S/C/G: HW-267/SW-252/ticker/GW-180

Height: 5'2"

In addition to broccoli and carrots, my faves are kale, tomatoes, asparagus, snow peas, mushrooms and cucumber.

Edamame is soybean, so a protein not a veggie.
westcoast rosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 01:10 PM   #4  
the muse of memory

Well, my standards for snacking are yours: carrots, celery, broccoli, and cauliflower. I love cauliflower. And cucumber, cucumber is brilliant. I always have salad on hand, and I really like the broccoli slaw they sell. Made from the broccoli stems (which are edible if you do them at home and taste really good when peeled and chopped and steamed) - I use it to make a bagged salad more interesting on those days I am not interested in chopping.

Jicama! Round, nobby, funny looking - not huge flavor but nice and fresh and crunchy, with an engaging bit of sweetness. And really lovely with Tajin seasoning: http://www.tajin.com/en-us/tajin

I picked up some fresh cut jicama with tajin seasoning for a snack on a recent trip and fell in love with the combination.
mnemosyne is offline   Reply With Quote