Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 05-11-2012, 12:20 AM   #16  

S/C/G: 161/143/130

Height: 5'5

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelie View Post
I never liked fish but I eat veggie sushi, usually with brown rice. I've never had sushi with mayo (sounds gross?) or crunchies. I usually buy it from Whole Foods these days.
They smash up/cut up imitation crab and mix it up with mayo before making California rolls. I know most sushi places I go to around here in the Bay Area put mayo in most of their rolls with imitation crab, and the sushi they sell at supermarkets like Safeway put even more mayo. They also put mayo on Lion Kings (b.c. mayo tastes good on baked salmon). Almost EVERY roll I see has teriyaki sauce on it too, especially the tempura ones. x_X
Elsewhere is Fine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 12:40 AM   #17  

S/C/G: 174/137/135

Height: 5"5

I love both sushi and sashimi...but my guilty pleasure is a spider roll--deep fried crab. Oh, mama, now I'm dreaming of sushi. Not good to read on a week night.
KylieH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 01:28 PM   #18  

S/C/G: S-218/C-170/G-159 & 24.9 BMI

Height: 5'7"-BMI-26.6=OVERWEIGHT

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickadee32 View Post
OP, you might find this link helpful: http://www.sushifaq.com/sushi-health/calories-in-sushi/

I love sushi and sashimi, and have still had it here and there during my weight loss. If I get rolls I stick to the plainer ones (no extra sauces, nothing fried, etc.), and either ask for them to be made with less rice or - if I'm dining with someone who I know won't be embarrassed by it - I scrape some of the extra rice off.

Awesome link! I think I will print it out and take it with me when I go out to eat, so that I will know. Thank you for sharing the link.
LAgreeneyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 04:02 PM   #19  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValRock View Post
Well... It was mostly veggies. But, the grocery store near my house sold pretty good sashimi packs for 500 Y and I could stretch them out for a couple days. They also had a go-round upstairs with 100Y Nigiri plates. My kids could do some major damage...but I regularly saw salarymen with stacks of empties higher than them. I wonder where they put it all?!

Cream cheese on it just freaks me out!!!

Oh man, I could seriously go for a big piece of sushi grade Ahi, right now! I had a slice at the Tsukiji Market, in Tokyo that literally blew my mind. *sigh*
Oh man. Japanese men have the most amazing metabolisms of any humans on earth I swear. I typically tried to keep to 5-6 plates but there have been times where I cleared 10-12. There was a local sushi place in my cow town that had incredible pink to red graded ahi tuna that probably cost Y1000 for one piece. ::sigh::

I like the cream cheese kind...maybe I'm gross.

LAgreeneyes, enjoy your sushi!
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 01:35 AM   #20  

Height: 5'6

I heard (from biggest loser aha) that sushi was terrible for you because of how starchy the rice is.
luckystreak is offline   Reply With Quote