Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 05-05-2012, 01:47 PM   #1  
300+ Chick

Smile Fruit or a Veggie lover?

I don't know if this belongs here..but did not know where to put it..

Ever since I am keeping a food log.. I am more of a Fruit chick/lover than Veggies. I love my fruits more than I do with a celery or lettuce..Not a huge fan of veggies. I can eat plenty of fruits, oranges, bananas galore!!

Just wandering..What do you eat more of? Thanks in advanced..Enjoy your day!
Liliann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 02:44 PM   #2  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I eat more veggies, but only because I follow an exchange plan and my plan allows more servings of veggies than servings of fruit. I choose to eat more veggies than fruit, because I can get a lot more food for the calorie (and eating too much fruit tends to make me hungrier for sweet foods overall).

Even though I really do love most healthy foods including fruits and vegetables - If I don't have a plan, I don't eat a very balanced diet, even if there's only "healthy" food in the house.

I have what I consider a "carb addiction," and tend to reach towards the highest carb foods available if I'm not consciously working at keeping carb levels within a reasonable level.

I also tend to go on food jags - eating tons of vegetables and/or fruit one day, and mostly meat say another, mostly carbs another....

For most people, "food jag" eating isn't a big deal. As long as you're eating a balanced diet overall, it doesn't really matter if you eat most of your fruit one day, most of your veggies the next, protein and fat another....

However, I have IBS, and the "food jags" wreak havoc with my digestive system. It's another reason the exchange plans work so well for me. Not only do I insure a balanced diet, the day-to-day consistency keeps my IBS symptoms manageable.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 03:22 PM   #3  
Nutritarian

S/C/G: 289/257.8/125

Height: 5'4"

I love both my veggies and fruits. My diet is 50-60% (1 pound fresh and 1 pound cooked) veggies and 25-30% (about 6 servings) fruits so I definitely eat way more veggies than fruits.

If you don't like the taste of veggies, try blending them together with fruits for a breakfast smoothie.

I start with a liquid. You can use milk, almond or soy milk, water, coconut water, yogurt, etc. I have a salad's worth of spinach and kale, large handful of carrots, and frozen peas for breakfast every morning but I don't taste it when I add in a fig or a couple pitted dates(for sweetness), a banana, and some frozen fruits like blueberries, strawberries, peaches, and blackberries. Sometimes I add a whole apple (core removed). It's an easy way to get 3 servings of veggies and 3 servings of fruit into your diet.

You can pretty much add any fruits or vegetables you want, I've even used honeydew melon. =)

My smoothies are about 44 oz of pure bliss and keeps me satisfied way passed lunch time.
Laifierr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 03:26 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 354/342/250(for now)

Height: 5'3"

Veggies all the way for me. Don't get me wrong, I love the odd apple, blueberries, strawberries, mango and occasionally banana, but given the choice I would take veggies over them. Fresh or frozen (not canned), I love a nice salad, broccoli, cauliflower, snow peas. Only veggies I don't really like are peas and corn.
CanadianCutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 05:18 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 256/151.8/147

Height: 5' 9"

I LIKE fruit more....but like vegetables almost as much. Like Broccoli or coliflower and low-fat cheese, or asparagus with dill sauce, or a beautiful salad with a nice lean protien such as fish or chicken. I AM somewhat of a carb counter is the only reason I don't eat AS much fruit (but don't get me wrong--fruit is good carbs and NATURAL sugars, and good for you!). But I tend to eat less fruit because it often contains A LOT of carbs. Watermelon, strawberrys, peaches, raspberrys, plums and cantalope are my favorites. I can seriously eat OVER 100 carbs in one sitting eating JUST fruit. Nothing beats a great fruit salad! But I love veggies almost as much--but I do steer clear of potatos and corn--I eat them sometimes--just not every single day. I eat only 3-4 servings of fruit a day and 6-7 servings of veggies
MOLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 05:26 PM   #6  
Maintaining Mommy

S/C/G: 280/128/<135

Height: 5' 4.5"

I used to be an often-fruit eater and a seldom-veggie eater; I didn't like most vegetables, and tended to avoid them whenever possible, lol. But, that ratio has really changed through the course of my weight loss. I started incorporating more veggies in my diet in part because I felt like I *should* eat more of them, but primarily because I *could* eat more of them - non-starchy vegetables are so low in calories that I could get a lot of volume while still staying within my calorie limits. And oddly enough, in time I really came to love a lot of veggies, and now I eat far more vegetables than fruits! (NEVER thought I'd be one of those people.) I probably eat 3-5 servings of vegetables/day, and usually only about 1 serving of fruit. Vegetables run the gamut - spinach, bell peppers, tomatoes, onions, butternut and acorn squash, sweet potatoes, zucchini, eggplant, mushrooms, asparagus, and brussel sprouts are staples - but I typically eat my veggies cooked rather than raw (I'm not a huge salad fan). For fruit I most frequently choose raspberries and blackberries, partly because I love them and partly because they're really high in fiber. I also really enjoy strawberries, apples, plums, apricots, mango, bananas, clementines, etc. - I just only eat them sparingly because I'm usually spending my calories on other things (lately, trying to get as much protein in as possible).
chickadee32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 07:56 PM   #7  
Tai

S/C/G: 272/111/Maintaining

I love both! I have to really limit fruit though because it's so easy for me to overeat.
Tai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 11:45 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 161/143/130

Height: 5'5

I think I prefer fruits over vegetables, but I also get sick of fruits really easily. I'll really savor an apple, and then be done with fruits for the rest of the day.
I love my leafy greens though - bokchoy, kang kong (mmm), choy sum, yin choi - and spinach.
Elsewhere is Fine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 12:08 AM   #9  

S/C/G: HW160/SW 156/CW125/GW120ish

Height: 5'2"

I eat more veggies than fruit, but get far more excited about local strawberry season than local broccoli season. I eat 1-2 fruit servings most days (usually berries and/or an apple), but 1-2 veggie servings at lunch and 3-4 at supper. Veg are the easiest, lowest calorie way to fill me up, and I like most of them.
Only Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 12:30 AM   #10  
Aussie girl

S/C/G: 210/146/146

Height: 5'4

I love both and eat a lot of both.
electrongirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 05:54 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 192/163/138

Height: 5"8

I love fruit so much more then veggies particularly anything in season from a farmers market
GobabyGoGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 01:48 PM   #12  

Height: 5' 7''

That's like asking which is your favourite kid :-)
finn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 02:19 PM   #13  
is a persistent thistle

S/C/G: 230/see ticker/133

Height: 5'6"

I have turned into a real fruit lover! I don't know that I really eat more fruits than veggies in the course of a day but I do know my veggie intake doesn't vary a great deal as there just aren't all that many I enjoy. Fruit, on the other hand, is all numminess.
Thistleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 05:18 PM   #14  
drifting downward!

S/C/G: (HW 194) 175/168/140

Height: 5'5 1/2"

My doctor had me cut out all fruit a year ago. Recently I've been allowed to have back blueberries and raspberries because they're so low-sugar and so good for you.

Of course, fruit is good for you - and better than processed food - but items can still be very high in sugar. I really have come to see it as nature's dessert. Excepting people with digestion issues, perhaps, I think most people's veggie intake should outweigh the fruit they eat. Mainly because there's no end to extolling the virtue of vegetables.
Desiderata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 03:58 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 185/139/120

I eat more fruit. I've never been much of one for veggies, but I incorporate them a lot more now. Unfortunately, I don't often like to eat raw veggies (aside from salad), so fruit is just much easier for me to bring to work for snacks. I do make sure I have a side of veggies with my dinner, and if I'm having eggs for breakfast, I always throw in some bell peppers, onions and tomatoes.
JessicaB is offline   Reply With Quote