Egg salad using EGG BEATERS....genius

• I'm doing this tomorrow. Wanted to share because I think this is fantastic! Low cal, low cholesterol......amazing!

http://www.eggbeaters.com/recipes-Qu...Egg-Salad-1985
  • I would love to check that out, but the link is invalid for me?
  • Same here, the link doesn't work.
  • Sorry bout that....fixed.
  • thanks, mammasita! Eggbeaters (or the store brand, that I buy) are a daily staple for me.
  • Same here! I'm gonna try this with egg whites only too, hope it works lol
  • that's awesome!! totally making that a part of my lunch tomorrow!!

guess it answers the question of whether you can nuke egg beaters....
  • Can't wait to try this!!! Love egg salad, but try to stay away from it for obvious reasons.
  • just had it for dinner!! absolutely delicious, good find! thanks
  • Just FYI, and entirely egg-head trivia

Eggbeaters are just colored egg whites, and usually it's cheaper to just buy regular eggs and toss the yolks (or find another purpose for them, though even if you do throw them in the trash, at least they're biodegradable and will feed some hungry seagull, rodent, or insect in the landfill).

It may seem more wasteful, but it's really not, because the processing involved in turning the egg whites into eggbeaters results in far more trash and pollutant into the ecosystem (if you care about such things) than a few egg yolks into the trash. Also the eggs will tend to be much fresher because processing and transportation increase the time from chicken to table.

If you like the egg white products and their convenience and don't mind the taste/waste/cost/or additives, I'm not questioning your choice, but if you want to save money, or avoid some of the other disadvantages of the egg white products you can substitute fresh egg whites without guilt (and if you have a skinny loved-one or pet, they can have the egg yolks, or you can make tempera paint for the kiddies or use them as a hair conditioning treatment...).

The biggest downside is that fresh egg whites don't "look like" regular eggs (you can add your own yellow food coloring, but that tends to yeild weird results). What I often do is use one whole egg to three egg whites or sometimes even1 whole egg to six whites (because 3 egg whites or 1 egg are both equivalent to one protein exchange on my exchange plan). So I can get "more volume" for my calorie by sbstituting some of the yolks with whites and the 3:1 white to whole egg ratio makes it esy to count).
  • Thanks, I bookmarked some of the recipes from the site!!

And thanks for the fyi Kaplods, some of the food I am getting now is more costly than the higher fat foods I used to get, so I may just do what you suggest and not get the eggbeaters, but use fresh eggs instead. I hope I can substitute this successfully.