Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 02-16-2012, 05:28 PM   #1  

S/C/G: S-218/C-170/G-159 & 24.9 BMI

Height: 5'7"-BMI-26.6=OVERWEIGHT

Default Terra Exotic Vegetable Chips

I found these last night at WalMart. They are to die for !!!! DELICIOUS!

http://www.terrachips.com/

Quote:
Delight your taste buds with the earth's most precious mix of exotic vegetables: a seasonal mix of taro, sweet potato, yuca, batata, parsnip, and ruby taro. Some are sweet, all are savory, and mixed together they achieve a satisfying balance of flavors - complex, nutty, rich and delicate.
They also have other flavors:

Quote:
Sweet Potato Chips
A healthy and ideal energy source, sweet potatoes make the perfect chip for every occasion.

Exotic Potato Chips
A variety of potato chips with an exotic zing. Explore our spicy, garlic and full-bodied flavors.

Classic Potato Chips
Enjoy your more traditional potato chips with just a touch of TERRA uniqueness thrown in.
LAgreeneyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 07:13 PM   #2  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

I've had those -- they are pretty tasty. I don't get them too often but it's a nice change from the usual chips.

A.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 07:33 PM   #3  
Biker Chick!

S/C/G: 169/152/145

Height: 5' 5"

Are they 'reasonably priced' where you are? At the convenience store where I work in the winter, the big bag of Terra Chips is SEVEN DOLLARS. Many customers have had chest pains when I ring them up. I always have my finger poised over the 'void' button

I'm sure they are fabulous, though.
VermontMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 06:51 AM   #4  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

I used to eat them but never managed anything like portion control. They are loaded with fat, salt, carbs, and calories and really aren't any healthier than regular potato chips. Sometimes I think stuff like that is actually worse because it pretends to be healthier so some of us eat more. If you can eat just one serving more power to you. I've never developed that skill.
CyndiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 08:12 AM   #5  
Dedicated Yogi

S/C/G: 269/188/160

Height: 5'8 1/2 :)

i've had these.
they are phenomenally delicious, and i find them far more satisfying then chips.

fun fact? they come in single serving sizes - you can find them at places like wal mart- the bag is about 140 cals, and its SUPER satisfying. a nice little treat!
stimkovs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 08:29 AM   #6  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

I agree -- the single bags are better. I'll eat through a whole big bag.

A.
Old 02-17-2012, 10:04 AM   #7  

I'm glad to know that they come in single serving packages. What I have been doing (to control myself from not eating the entire bag) is taking out the serving size and putting it in a small ziploc bag and bringing it with me to work to have as a snack. I do not transport the entire bag.

As far as the calories, sugars, carbs, etc. in these chips...........these chips are healthier than the peanut butter that I eat. MY PB has more calories (170 calories), sugar and carbs than these Terra chips (140 calories). These chips are more filling than my peanut butter.

As far as the cost, the price at WalMart is $3.50.
Old 02-17-2012, 10:08 AM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by stimkovs View Post
i've had these.
they are phenomenally delicious, and i find them far more satisfying then chips.

fun fact? they come in single serving sizes - you can find them at places like wal mart- the bag is about 140 cals, and its SUPER satisfying. a nice little treat!
Thank you for sharing the fun fact. I will try to find the single servings.
Old 02-17-2012, 03:00 PM   #9  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Even though I mostly knew better, foods like this really contributed to my obesity for many years. (Hey, they're sold in health food stores, they must be healthy, right? And if you eat only healthy food, you'll eventually be healthy - and slim, right? Consciously I knew better, but on some level, I allowed myself to at least sort-of believe I was doing better than I really was.)

I never have liked ordinary potato chips, but I love Terra chips and kettle-cooked chips. I knew they were "bad" but I didn't really think about how bad. Even though I knew it wasn't true, on some level I believed that health-food junk food had to be at least marginally better than ordinary and fast-food junkfood.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 03:07 PM   #10  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Quote:
Even though I knew it wasn't true, on some level I believed that health-food junk food had to be at least marginally better than ordinary and fast-food junkfood.
Well, it's better party food, but chips to me are still a party food. It isn't every day food.

A.
Old 02-17-2012, 03:18 PM   #11  

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaplods View Post
Even though I mostly knew better, foods like this really contributed to my obesity for many years. (Hey, they're sold in health food stores, they must be healthy, right? And if you eat only healthy food, you'll eventually be healthy - and slim, right? Consciously I knew better, but on some level, I allowed myself to at least sort-of believe I was doing better than I really was.)

I never have liked ordinary potato chips, but I love Terra chips and kettle-cooked chips. I knew they were "bad" but I didn't really think about how bad. Even though I knew it wasn't true, on some level I believed that health-food junk food had to be at least marginally better than ordinary and fast-food junkfood.
So, did the Terra chips affect your weight loss in a negative way?
Old 02-17-2012, 03:19 PM   #12  

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrophe View Post
Well, it's better party food, but chips to me are still a party food. It isn't every day food.

A.
Yes, I agree. Definitely not an every day food.
Old 02-17-2012, 05:24 PM   #13  

With all this talk about chips, I found a chip maker. So now I can make my own healthy chips.

Here is the link.
https://www.topchips.com/default?gcl...FSHDtgodCQ3HSA
Old 02-19-2012, 11:10 AM   #14  
Shrinking Chick

S/C/G: 288/ticker/160

Terra chips ARE delicious. I'm not a big fan of plain chips, but these are an exception for me. I only buy them for parties because I don't have good control with a big bag in the house.
Riddy is offline   Reply With Quote