Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 01-23-2012, 02:37 PM   #16  

I stumbled upon this blog awhile back, I'm not sure how now, but she has a seemingly endless list of things to do with oatmeal. I really enjoy the baked banana oatmeal recipe. The site is katheats.com/kaths-tribute-to-oatmeal. I'm new and don't have enough posts to have a link...sorry.
t3lincol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 03:33 PM   #17  
Love Thyself

S/C/G: 231/199/165

Height: 5'7"

I am so boring lol I love my oatmeal plain (no sugar or anything, well sometimes alittle cinnamon because it is so good for u) and then with fruit. Usually strawberries is my favorite in the world. But blueberries are good too. I want to try banana soon.
moonkissed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 03:34 PM   #18  

S/C/G: SW 228/CW 138/GW 130-150

Height: 5'3.5

I just started eating oatmeal too. Brown sugar, almond slivers and dried cranberries.
dstalksalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 04:14 PM   #19  

Height: 5'8"

Oatmeal is the perfect healthy blank canvas - I love it!

Pumpkin Pie Oatmeal: canned pumpkin, pumpkin pie spice (cinnamon, nutmeg, clove and allspice) maple syrup and a few walnuts or pecans

Blueberry Lemon Oatmeal: Frozen wild blueberries, vanilla extract, lemon rind and almonds

Apple Pie Oatmeal: Chopped up apple, maple syrup, cinnamon, walnuts

Raspberry Almond Oatmeal: frozen raspberries, almond butter, almond extract

So many possibilities!
missgordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 08:35 PM   #20  
Shrinking Chick

S/C/G: 288/ticker/160

Height: 5'8"

I like frozen berries, pecans, splenda & cinnamon.

Pumpkin sounds so good!

There was another thread a while back in the food section, and someone had a savory oatmeal. That sounded interesting.
Riddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 08:50 PM   #21  
Ailsa

S/C/G: 189/ticker/140

Height: 5'7

I like to cut up an apple and put cinnamon and a dash of sugar in my oatmeal. Sometimes I put breakfast cereal or granola on top, or if you have it, crumbling up a tiny scoop of coffee cake over the top with cinnamon is a great treat. Nuts are also a good option for protein! Good luck
AilsaPearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 09:05 PM   #22  
Back with a story

S/C/G: 281 / 254 / 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

Butter. Dead serious. Slowing down the digestion of that carbohydrate and mitigating the effect it has on your satiety and blood sugar with fat is a smart idea. You will feel full longer, reach fullness more quickly, and create a lot less dramatic blood chemistry response with fat in there.

Likewise, a nut butter like cashew or almond butter is also a great idea, as is cinnamon.
Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 10:17 PM   #23  

S/C/G: 193/176/130

Height: 5'8

PB.. even a lil bit adds alot of flavor.. with some choc chips it tastes like a PB cup.

For those days I have a sweet tooth (usually weekends) I stir in some nutella.. yum!

Also I like steel cut oatmeal wayy more then instant.
ilovemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 10:36 PM   #24  

S/C/G: 210/135/135

Height: 5'6"

My most recent wonderful discovery for when I want something sweet:

Almond Joy Oatmeal! I add a tsp. of unsweetened cocoa powder, a Tbs. of shredded coconut, a Tbs. of slivered almonds, and a little Splenda to sweeten.

Also,

Pumpkin Pie Oatmeal - about 1/3-1/2 cup canned pumpkin, cinnamon, pumpkin pie spice, and sometimes some vanilla extract. Again I add some Splenda to sweeten it to taste.

Apple Cinnamon Oatmeal - Cut up half an apple, add lots of cinnamon and a little Splenda

Berry Pancake - Add frozen berries (I used a mix, but you could just do one kind) and some sugar free pancake syrup

I've also tried chocolate/peanut butter, using some unsweetened cocoa powder and some PB2 (powdered peanut butter), but I used way too much of the cocoa and it was really thick--haven't worked out proportions for that one yet.

And I tried to make a gingerbread one by making a spice blend based on what goes into actual gingerbread, but something was off and I didn't like it, so I'll have to continue to play with that one.

I bet some canned or frozen peaches would be yummy! I'm also planning on trying out a pina colada one soon. I've been having fun experimenting with oatmeal!
lisa818181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 11:00 PM   #25  

S/C/G: 24W/10-12/10-12

Height: 5', 5"

THANKS SOOOOO MUCH....

I can't wait to try the honey, peanut butter, cranberry and apple cinnamon ideas (not together of course). I can't WAIT to try the Pumpkin Pie. I'm so excited I want to do a Wal-Mart run at almost 10 p.m.

That's why I love this forum...Thanks guys for saving breakfast!
free1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 11:59 PM   #26  
One day at a time...

S/C/G: 161.4 / 161 / 140

Height: 5'7"

I like taking dried banana chips and cooking it with those. Or dried apples and cinnamon. Tastes good and I don't have to worry about eating money on the fruit going bad because it was dried.
lyn88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 12:10 AM   #27  
kon-fyoo-zed say it aloud

S/C/G: 300/Ticker/165

Height: 5'9"

i use 1 tbsp of sugar-free strawberry preserves in my oatmeal (the kind made with splenda) and it comes out really tasty!
konfyoozed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 05:15 AM   #28  

S/C/G: 148.8/143/130

Height: 5'3

I normally like one of those 35 cals yogurts and then a cup or 2 of mixed berries on the side, sometimes mixed in.

or a lightly unhealthier option with a few dark chocolate chips or mint chocolate chips and some milk...normally only 10-15g for every 30g oatmeal though...
CandieBarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 02:16 PM   #29  
Wife and Mother :)

S/C/G: bf 30%/16.5%/15%

Height: 5f 6

wow i feel so boring!

I have eaten a cup of oatmeal for breakfast for about 6 months (bar fasting days) and just poured a heap of splenda on it (with semi-skimmed milk).

It keeps me full for hours and stops the snacking until my next big meal!

I like the idea of berries in it, i have tried the p/nut butter and it is lovely!

Must experiment more, thankyou for the ideas!
gamesmaster1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 06:20 PM   #30  
Ilene the Bean

I love oatmeal too, but in the summer time I don't like a hot breakdfast. So I take dry oatmeal and let it soak in milk or soy milk , soy is very good too because it's so sweet, I let it soak anywhere from 5 minutes to overnight, depending on my time in the morning and lazyness at night ... add raisins, sunflower seeds, nut of choice...

Lately I have switched to oatbran for a change... I take a cup of boiling water add 1/3 cup oatbran, one cup frozen blueberries, cover the bowl with a plate and leave it overnight. In the morning the oatbran has absorbed the water and blueberry juice, I add a tablespoon of ground flax seed and a bit of Splenda or Stevia... warm it up a bit, enjoy
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote