Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 02-10-2012, 04:43 PM   #1  

S/C/G: S-218/C-170/G-159 & 24.9 BMI

Height: 5'7"-BMI-26.6=OVERWEIGHT

Default Protein Shakes ~ Any Suggestions?

I have been reading a lot about people making protein shakes. I want to begin making and drinking protein shakes but I am scared to death that I will gain weight. Does anyone have any suggestions for a great protein shake or can someone tell me what the ingredients are for a great protein shake? And also, how often can protein shakes be consumed? Any help would be appreciated.
LAgreeneyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 05:27 PM   #2  

S/C/G: Ticker

Height: 5'7

People usually drink protein shakes to assist muscle growth as part of a strength training program, muscle growth is added weight. If you're not actively trying to build muscle, the only other reason to use protein shakes is to try and prevent muscle wasting after gastric bypass surgery.
If neither of those fit you, it's a waste of your money and calories

The usual ingredient for a protein shake is whey protein (a byproduct of making cheese) and a flavoring.

You can consume them as often as you wish or need, directly after a workout is popular.
Tourny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 08:42 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 215/184/135

Height: 5'7"

I drink protein shakes just to make sure I have enough Protein in my diet (also I make it my desert at night), i do toning exercises as well. But it doesnt make me gain any weight. I count calories, so I do not use milk, I just mix it with water and ice in a blender. i use Curves Protein Powder in vanilla or chocolate, and if I want more of a flavor kick, I just add a little pudding powder or jello powder and the possibilities are endless!!!
swoody29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 11:36 AM   #4  

I use it as a meal replacement.

I've used OnWhey which tastes great. Currently I have Jillian Michaels brand and that one tastes great too. I only buy vanilla and chocolate. I make a shake out of juice, milk and fruit. Recently I've been using coconut milk. This morning I used a cup of coconut milk, some frozen strawberries, a little oj and vanilla protein powder.

There's many specific recipes that you can find online.

Last edited by PhillyGirl2012; 02-27-2012 at 11:40 AM. Reason: edit
PhillyGirl2012 is offline   Reply With Quote