bored of snacks

• I realised yesterday I'm a little bored by my snacks (specifically my snack betweeen breakfast and lunch). When I don't feel pumped up by what I'm going to eat, I can be led astray.

What do you do when you're in a snack rut? I always have interesting lunches and dinners but the thought of eating half a cup of edamame yesterday felt too depressing. I don't know why, I generally like edamame. Any suggestions? (I'll go up to 150 calories and I'm not a low-carber).
  • For 175 cal. You can have 1/2 cup of fat free cottage cheese w/ a med. banana sliced into it. One my favorite snacks.

Another fav of mine is a cup of grapes (about 100 cal.) with a light string cheese (about 80 cal. depending on brand).

If you have access to a microwave, try one of the snack size bags of popcorn.

Good luck!
  • wheat thins and salsa

banana "ice cream" (bananas have the consistency of frozen custard when put in the blender/food processor right out of the freezer YUMMY)

any kind of smoothie with nonfat vanilla yogurt and some fruit

sweet potato chips or lentil chips (trader joes carries them)
  • My favvvv (what I'm eating right now) is 10 pretzel crisps with a serving of Atenos Roasted Red Pepper Hummus (I COULD EAT IT ALLLL THE TIME!!!) This is 150 Cal. My morning snack a low-fat string cheese and a Kroger brand CarbMaster yogurt.. about 120 cal!
  • I'm not a big snacker, but my "I really want something good snack" is a single square from a Trader Joe's bittersweet with 30% hazelnuts bar. It's 110 calories, I eat it slowly and savor it, and usually drink 2 or 3 glasses of water with it. It's not sweet enough to set off my sugar cravings, and the nuts really seem to make it stick with me.

This time of year I'm going nuts for clementines and apples, mugs of hot tea and the occasional cup of cocoa or cafe au lait.
  • I don't really snack. I make sure my meals have enough calories and protein to keep me filled up until my next meal. If I am caught hungry, I always have an apple or a pear or a piece of cheese with me.
  • Clementines! I can never get bored of clementines.

Another snack I loved was grapes or an apple with fat free unsweetened yogurt (natural yogurt. Was never a fan of the sweetened kind, yogurt is supposed to be tart darnit!) The tart with the sweetness is wonderful when its not overrun by artificial sweetners or flavors.

I'm also a fan of soup, a lot of them are 130 calories or less. Broccoli and cheese soups are especially filling. But watch out for sodium overload...

Kiwis! I'm a huge fan of kiwi and it's the season too!

...And don't hate me but dark chocolate dipped strawberries. Just make sure you don't overdue the dipping! (About 4 to 5 medium strawberries.) Another even lighter version is chocolate dipped clementines. (3 pieces=44 calories according to a recipe in cahabafitness.com)
  • Sweet potato chips are good and healthy.