It's 9 PM, you just got home, you're starving and just want sleep. Whats for dinner?

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • I'll start. When all I want to do is collapse in bed, I heat up some fat free refried beans and wrap it up in a tortilla with some salsa. Or I might just grab an apple and dip it in peanut butter and raisins. Easy and filling enough for a quick meal before bed!
  • Tomato soup with chicken or turkey hot dogs cooked in it. Fancy, right?

Sometimes with some sort of fruit for dessert.

ETA: bonus points because I can get DD to eat it without any fuss (even though it certainly isn't the best meal in the world...).
  • I'll do a can of tuna with some mustard and pickles, DH thinks I'm crazy ;-)

I really like protein shakes too, and I keep frozen chicken breasts available at all times, it takes a whole but all I have to do is throw it on the grill and then I top it with salsa.
  • A quesadilla or taco. Or something I've made homemade then frozen for just these situations (calzones, bean burgers, whatever).
  • I'll nuke some frozen veggies, and melt a little cheese on top, and add some spices.
  • I always have several kinds of meals in the freezer which I've cooked in bulk beforehand, so one of those goes into the microwave.
  • Smoked ham and mushroom omlette. Yummy
  • A banana with 1 tbsp of peanut butter in a whole wheat and flax seed tortilla. If I'm feeling wild I'll trow in some craisins. This is also a go-to breakfast item for me.
  • A HUGE salad with whatever leftovers, extra veg, etc I can find in the fridge, dumped on top .
  • Maybe I'm odd but I'll just go to sleep...
  • I just sleep too
  • I'll have to try that tuna with some mustard and pickles. What kind of mustard & pickles do you prefer?
  • I like tuna or less with some black pepper, lemon pepper seasoning, bit of olive oil and some cheese (parmesan or cheddar is good) then nuked for 30 seconds or so. Goes well with some crackers or melba toast.
  • Tonight I came home and realized I was out of Lean Cuisines, and the bread had gone bad. Put some turkey slices on crackers and called it a homemade Lunchable, lol. Bonus - it was so low fat and low cal I got to have a fat free brownie and a Pepsi for dessert!
  • On weekdays I typically get home around 8:30 and know I won't have the time or energy to do much cooking.

For that reason, a key part of my plan has been to cook lots over the weekend, so that during the week I have dinner in the refrigerator and all I have to do is heat it up.

At most I have to chop a salad or saute a vegetable, maybe 10 minutes of work. But always I have fish, dal, chicken, or some similar protein, and usually some roasted or other prepared vegetables, waiting for me every day of the week.