Help with Thai Green Curry

• I want to make Thai green curry tomorrow but my old recipe is quite heavy and rich due to all the coconut milk. Could I replace some of the coconut milk with coconut water? Does that water have a coconutty flavor?

Any other suggestions?
  • I haven't used coconut water before. What I do is add a can full of water to my curry to dilute the curry. This is in part to make it less calorie-dense and also to keep the sauce watery enough as the veggies simmer. Without water the sauce becomes very thick and starts to scorch. You can add a pretty decent amount of water to your curry without diluting the flavor.

You can also use lite coconut milk instead of regular.

Lastly, put a LOT of veggies in there. When you serve yourself, eat the veggies (or meat if you use that) and not the sauce part. The veggies will be sufficiently covered in curry to be delicious, but they won't be drowning in the curry sauce. My thai curry usually has a decent amount of the liquid curry part left over that I just throw away. I get plenty on my veggies and in my tofu and I don't really need the empty calories that pouring the sauce over white rice entails
  • I made a green curry out of the South Beach Diet cookbook, and it called for light coconut milk and chicken broth. I added extra vegetables and extra chicken broth, and the texture of the sauce was fine to me.

And coconut water doesn't taste anything like coconut, IMO. It's not calorie-free, either.
  • I haven't looked into this but it might be an option. Have you tried the green curry paste? I don't know the calories on it but it might be worth looking into becasue I know you don't need any coconut milk!
  • I've seen cans of low fat coconut milk. Maybe at Trader Joe's (but not at all sure where it was).

I also know Durke (the brand, available in most stores) sells coconut extract (flavor) kinda like vanilla extract. So you could experiment with skim milk and coconut extract.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out!
  • It may be easier to use block creamed coconut, as that way you can use as little as you like. A tin of light coconut milk is still surprisingly high in calories, and it's quite a large amount.
  • I do use the green curry paste but the coconut milk is what really makes it Thai. I think I will buy a can of the light coconut milk and use only half of it, I will get some of the coconut extract too in case I need a little extra flavor. Thanks for all the suggestions, you guys are the best!