Incorporating Vegis?

• Lately iv'e been falling behind on vegies. Anyway i can incorporate it easier, Like in a protein shake?
  • Not sure about what veggies would be good in a protein shake, but lately I've been adding a handful of spinach, cabbage (finely shredded, the prepackaged coleslaw cabbage is great for this) and/or broccoli to my meals. In fact I'm having a blend of these on their own, as a side instead of mashed potatoes with the meatloaf I'm making for dinner tonight.
    But, if I'm making eggs I'll add some or all of these veggies to stretch it out, and maybe sprinkle a little cheese on top.
    For lunch today I made some red lentils cooked with some beef stock, and added in broccoli and spinach, a little steak spick after I drained it, and 1 serving shredded cheese. This made for a very filling meal, and I got 2 servings of veggies in. Add a salad if needed, and get even more veggies.
  • I like soup for lunch during fall and winter weather. My favorite is Campbell's Chicken Noodle.
    So I always add a can of veggies to the soup, water and all.

That way I get in some extra veggies without ruining the taste of my noodle soup. "YUM!

My doctor told me to change my eating habits and to never eat between meals.
    So I went from eating 3 meals a day to 12, and I stopped eating between meals!
  • Fall is a great time to incorporate the hard squashes into many dishes. Think butternut, pumpkin and the like. They add bulk, fiber and vitamins. I make cornbread with egg whites and mashed butternut. Many use the mashed squash as the sauce in pasta dishes.
  • My go-tos:
    Pumpkin soup
    Steamed spinach with a small pat of butter and lemon-pepper seasoning
    Broccoli soup
    Cream of spinach soup
    Snap peas stir fried in oyster sauce
    Asparagus with hollandaise sauce (just a tiny smidge)
    Red cabbage and carrots, both shredded, with rice wine vinegar, sugar, and soy sauce dressing
    Sliced bell pepper with hummus
    Roasted beets with goat cheese
    Lenil vegetable soup with bok choy
    Vegetable hot pot (google recipe, it's the first that comes up on Eating Well website)

In regards to the Campbell's soup reference above, you would get a lot more nutritional value if you made your own. Making homemade soup is very, very easy and worth the increased nutrients you get from fresh versus canned soup.