Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 08-27-2011, 01:41 PM   #1  
Sarcastic Non-Chick Chick

S/C/G: 360/192/150

Height: 5'7"

Default Best Bagel & Cream Cheese Substitute

So, I've been looking for a substitute for a bagel and cream cheese for a while. They're on my top ten favorite foods list, but the good ones have a bajillion calories. The bad ones have maybe 3/4 of a bajillion calories, but aren't worth the expenditure for this anal-retentive calorie counter. Every time that I've tried a substitute, though--Bagel Things pop into mind--I've been thoroughly disappointed. I think I've found the solution:

Thomas's pretzel bagels. They're 120 calories. They're thoroughly satisfying. The salt is in a separate packet, so I can ignore it. And, when topped with a Laughing Cow Light Garlic & Herb wedge, they're 155 calories. They completely satisfy that craving. I'll call that a win.

Just thought I'd share!
Gabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 03:24 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 250/168/150

Height: 5'7"

That's a great idea! I've been using Deli Flats and fat free cream cheese & tomato, but I'll give the household shopper your idea.
JessLess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 06:34 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 209/160/145

Height: 5'1"

Look for "The Alternative Bagel" brand bagels. I see them in Publix supermarkets in the bakery section, but their website might tell you where else you can get them.

They are generally about 100 calories for the whole thing, and come in some realllllllly tasty flavors (the onion one rocks). Smear that with some reduced fat cream cheese and that's hardly breaking the caloric bank. Nom nom nom!

doopdoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 04:00 PM   #4  

S/C/G: Pant Size 12/6/4

Height: 5'2"

I eat Bagels here and there with low fat cream cheese and havn't noticed they stall my loss... Bagel and CC is about 350 calories. I get some of the much needed fat (I tend to eat too little fat now) and they are yummy! My usual lunch is about 220 so basically lunch plus a snack. if you ate one everyday maybe not so good but really there are worse things. Cut out somewhere else if it's such a big deal you have a bagel!
Harriette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 07:58 PM   #5  
Started pre-con 8/5/2011

S/C/G: 353/see ticker/250

Height: 5'10

Sounds great! My diet requires a protein be paired with starches, though. Think there's enough protein in the cream cheese to balance it out?
carriemise is offline   Reply With Quote