WhoNu?

• Has anyone else heard of these cookies? They claim to be an excellent source of Calcium, Iron, Vitamins A, B12,C,D,E 20 essential Vitamins and Minerals. They taste pretty good but it seems a bit too good to be true for a cookie.
  • A lot of processed foods are adding vitamins (as a marketing ploy - "our junk food is good for you,"), but healthwise it makes more sense to get the vitamins from natural sources (or take a multivitamin)than to eat cookies fortified with vitamins.

The sugar, fat, processed flour probably outweigh the benefits of the vitamins. And there's also the concern that you could overdo fat-soluble vitamins by eating too many fortified foods.

However, if you're going to eat a cookie, I suppose it doesn't hurt to eat a fortified cookie (unless you're eating tons of them or are taking mega-doses of fat-soluble vitamins).

Vitamin D is not just a vitamin, it's a hormone, so I think you'd want to make sure that your intake was within reasonable limits (though I understand vitamin D overdose is pretty difficult to do - but then again, except for dairy not many foods have ever been fortified with vitamin D).
  • I only heard of them because my mom bought some this morning. I am not prone to binging but I can see how easily one can go overboard thinking but they are so healthy!
  • I'm a binge eater, and a pack of these cookies stayed in my cupboard for a long time. Not a binge trigger for me (luckily). They did seem to have a bit of an 'off' taste. Maybe from the vitamins. I can't remember if they have artificial sweetener or not??? They were ok, but I don't think I'll buy anymore.