Favorite mayonnaise

• I know some people use their regular full fat mayo, but just use less. I have tried a couple lower fat/calorie mayonnaise products this year. So far, my favorite is Hellmann's Light Mayonnaise. It has 35 calories per Tbsp. Anyone else have a favorite you can recommend?
  • I prefer Kraft mayonnaise, regular. I use just 1/2 of what I did before.
    I tried reduced fat and I just don't care for it.

I eat one boiled egg at bedtime with 1/2 T mayonnaise because it helps keep me from getting hungry in the middle of the night.

SKINNY PEOPLE TICK ME OFF!
    Especially when they say things like, "You know, sometimes I forget to eat."
    Now I've forgotten my address, my mother's maiden name, and my car keys, but I have never forgotten to eat.
    You have to be a special kind of stupid to forget to eat.
    -- SIOUXSIE Q --
  • I like the Kraft mayo made with olive oil... YUM!
  • Hi,
    I also prefer the Hellmans light. I wish I could find the new Hellmans cracked pepperbut we don't seem to have it here.

Congtats on the fabulous weight losss journey.Best wishes for maintenance.
    Sheridan
  • I have also tried the Kraft mayo made with Olive Oil. I do like it. I find it interesting that the Hellman's Light is pretty low in calories but still tastes good.

Sheridan Thank you.
  • My favorite mayo is Hellman's mayo (100 calories per tablespoon). I also like Hellman's Canola Oil mayo (45 or 50 calories, so about half of regular mayo).

I'm budget-conscious though, and don't usually want to pay more than $2 per quart for mayo, so I don't buy either unless I can find them at a dollar store, Big Lots or similar store, or can use a coupon to bring the price under or close to my $2 target.

So what I usually do, is buy a store brand mayo for $1.50 - $2.00 per quart (the IGA store brand is very good).

I'll either use it more sparingly, or I make my own dip/spread by combining the full fat mayo with light or fat free sour cream and/or plain, unflavored low-fat yogurt and seasonings (minced garlic is a favorite, and also ranch dressing mix powder which I buy in bulk or I make my own by mixing garlic powder, dill, and onion powder and powdered buttermilk, salt and pepper).

Usually my dip also comes out to about 50 calories per tablespoon (sometimes I'll deliberately bring it down more by adding more of a fat free ingredient, or will thin the dip with skim milk or rice vinegar). I'll use it as a dip, salad dressing, and sandwich condiment.

I usually make about 1 to 1.5 cups of dip at a time and put it in the fridge. To use it as salad dressing, I put a spoon of it in my salad bowl, and will add a little more thinning liquid and wisk it together with a fork, then add my salad ingredients and mix the salad in the serving bowl.

Sometimes I'll make more unusual condiments using store-brand mayo as a base. It may be as simple as mixing the mayo with dijon mustard, or more complex like mixing in fish sauce, splenda, peanut butter, rice vinegar, cilantro, green onion and maybe a bit of grated fresh or crystallized ginger.

Most of the time, my concoctions end up between 25 and 50 calories per tablespoon, and yet seem more decadent than plain mayo.

Another good combo is my homemade ranch dressing and equal parts salsa. Calorie count is usually around 25 calories per tablespoon.

It sounds complicated, but I use a splash and dash method, and can make just enough for one salad or sandwhich. I've even bought a bunch of 1.5 to 2 ounce plastic containers, so I can mix up just enough. Instead of whisking, I just pop on the little lid and shake. The containers are also great for storing Crystal Light and other drink mixes. I occasionally buy the individual drink mix packets, but usually I just pour the 2-quart tub/packets into one of my mini containers. I also will use them to store sugar free pudding mix.

Instead of using a packet of sugar free pudding to make four servings of pudding, I use my food scale to measure 1/4 of the packet into 1/2 cup of skim milk in a container with a tight fitting lid - and then shake the pudding rather than use a mixer. Then I store the remaining mix in one of the little containers.

I know it would be "easier" to make the whole package of pudding, or the whole package of Crystal Light, or a whole batch of salad dressing... but I eat less and am less wasteful, if i make just enough for a single serving.
  • Quote: I like the Kraft mayo made with olive oil... YUM!
    Ditto!
  • Hellmans all the way, have switched to light and find it to be yummy!
  • Kaplods-I just want to say I think you are cool as He** You always have such great and budget conscious ideas. Love reading your posts!
  • I prefer those made with olive oil- I think both Hellman's and craft make their own version. In my opinion, it tastes better and just makes me feel like I'm eating something a little bit healthier. It's got 50cal/tbsp.
  • Thanks for all the replies. I was at the store today. I looked for the olive oil mayo w/pepper, but didn't see it. Maybe it's not in our area yet.
  • Quote: Kaplods-I just want to say I think you are cool as He** You always have such great and budget conscious ideas. Love reading your posts!

LOL, Thanks. I just had an argument with hubby today about my frugal ways (he was griping that there were too many containers in the fridge with my homemade condiments and concoctions, and it was making it hard to navigate the fridge, and how much money could I possibly be saving, anyway). My homemade jerky, refrigerator pickles and salsas were especially ticking him off, because every summer the fridge is crammed with my refrigerator pickles (because I love the idea of making pickles, but I'm not comfortable with room-temperature, countertop fermenting and brining or canning. (I wouldn't have to refrigerate or freeze the jerky, but I like to take the extra precaution).

As a condiment addict I can tell you that I save a lot! When I was buying condiments and pickles, I could spend $30 a week just on interesting condiments.

Oh - another one I love is to make fruit flavored salad dressings (great for chicken salad or salads with fruit ingredients) by adding a pinch of flavored drink mix or sugar free jello powder to mayo (thinned with rice wine vinegar) or to a vinaigrette. Raspberry was my favorite, until I tried peach.