Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 06-27-2011, 03:49 PM   #1  
banned

Default Can you safely eat salmon every day?

Would it be safe/healthy to eat one salmon pattie (like a salmon burger) for lunch every day?
3FCer344892 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 04:27 PM   #2  
Renaissance Woman

S/C/G: 363/306/185

Height: 5'10.5"

I think it would depend on what's in the patty, but I think it's safe...but boring! I eat a variety of wild-caught fish that also includes tuna and sardines.

I like salmon, a lot, but only eat fish twice a week because I'm trying to clear out toxins right now. I'm concerned with mercury, and now, since I like my salmon wild and from Alaska, I'm worried with contamination from Japan. I had stocked my pantry with canned wild salmon before the nuclear accident, so that supply is still okay. I might switch to wild Norweigan, but it's expensive.

I don't eat farmed salmon because it's fed soy and I'm very sensitive to that.
geoblewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 04:29 PM   #3  
banned

I didn't think about the wild caught salmon being effected by that. I've been buying canned salmon every month for a while, and I buy frozen salmon fillets.
3FCer344892 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 04:55 PM   #4  
Renaissance Woman

S/C/G: 363/306/185

Height: 5'10.5"

http://www.montereybayaquarium.org/c...ions.aspx?c=ln

I often refer to that page for safe seafood recommendations. I haven't really heard anything yet about contaminated Alaskan salmon. I'm just cautious. And I'm taking kelp capsule as well, to help support my thyroid, which is on the low side of normal.

I don't mean to scare you! Just be cautious!
geoblewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 01:33 PM   #5  
Lifelong Alaskan!

S/C/G: 230/180/150

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoblewis View Post
I think it would depend on what's in the patty, but I think it's safe...but boring! I eat a variety of wild-caught fish that also includes tuna and sardines.

I like salmon, a lot, but only eat fish twice a week because I'm trying to clear out toxins right now. I'm concerned with mercury, and now, since I like my salmon wild and from Alaska, I'm worried with contamination from Japan. I had stocked my pantry with canned wild salmon before the nuclear accident, so that supply is still okay. I might switch to wild Norweigan, but it's expensive.

I don't eat farmed salmon because it's fed soy and I'm very sensitive to that.
i was born and raised in alaska and still live here...the only salmon we've ever eaten has been caught by us or relatives here in alaska...occasionally someone from the native village will even send us a whole salmon on the airlines with someone who's coming to town...we'll get a call and go pick them up at the airport and get our salmon! i've never in my life bought salmon from a store

we regularly ate salmon nearly constantly during the long winters up north on the homestead...reds, kings, silvers and pinks...in various shapes and forms...my mom makes a killer salmon patty...we would stock the freezer with fish caught from the fishwheel in the fall and have salmon all winter long

and NO there are NO REPORTS of contaminated wild alaska salmon
alaskanlaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 03:57 PM   #6  
Phil1:6

S/C/G: 253(old)/220(new)/ticker/170

Height: 6'

man now im craving salmon!! thanks guys! lol
DaughteroftheKing is offline   Reply With Quote