3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Food Talk And Fabulous Finds (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/food-talk-fabulous-finds-17/)
-   -   Greek Yogurt (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/food-talk-fabulous-finds/236461-greek-yogurt.html)

nikkinouille 06-24-2011 04:32 PM

Greek Yogurt

Ok, so after reading all this hoopla about how good Greek Yogurt is for us... and talking to my trainer friend who also works at GNC (basically, the guy knows TONS about health, healthy foods, working out, etc) - I decided to give Greek Yogurt a try as my new go-to snack. I forget the brand, but I picked some up from the grocery store. It was disgusting! This was a few months ago. A few days ago, I am at Food Lion & I stroll down the dairy section and see CHOBANI Non-Fat Greek Yogurt (different brand)... Picked up two (Lemon & Honey). HOLY ----. Delicious. 150 cal. All natural, no preservatives. Full of probiotics & calcium. Moral of the story - anyone out there looking for a good, healthy snack, I'd suggest trying this stuff. They have many flavors. Tasted great, good for ya (better than regular yogurt), and left me feeling full!

luckymommy 06-24-2011 04:35 PM

I'm so glad you like it! I like it too, but I've never tried Chobani brand. I like the Fage brand and they even have it at Costco! :)

VermontMom 06-24-2011 04:36 PM

Yes to Chobani!! so delicious, thick and satisfying. :carrot:

abetterme 06-24-2011 04:44 PM

I like Chobani and Dannon Greek yogurt. I don't really care for yoplait.

Beck 06-24-2011 05:08 PM

I love Chobani! Trader Joe's greek yogurt is also very good, especially the mixed berry; it's as good as dessert.

mkroyer 06-24-2011 05:14 PM

Fage all the WAY... its the thickest and creamiest.. and ive tried them ALLL

QuilterInVA 06-24-2011 05:21 PM

Dannon and Yoplait have additives in their Greek yogurt that the real stuff doesn't. I don't like them at all. I love Trader Joe's. My breakfast is often Greek yogurt, seasonal fruit, and 1/2 oz. chopped nuts.

CorinneIrene 06-24-2011 06:35 PM

YES! Chobani is my go to! Love it- especially pineapple! The company isn't too far from here and they have trouble keeping it in stock in stores. They're actually considering purchasing an abandoned factory here in my town to expand their operations. Mm, I wouldn't mind working there!

chickadee32 06-25-2011 04:54 PM

I've always really disliked regular yogurt, but I was a yogurt convert the minute I tried greek yogurt. I love Fage (especially) and Chobani. I have both in the fridge and I'm not even hungry, but I want some now after reading this thread! Maybe a treat for later. :) I haven't given the TJs greek yogurt a try yet, but I'll have to pick some up soon.

JenMusic 06-25-2011 10:17 PM

I agree, the brand DOES matter with Greek yogurt. I love Trader Joe's - especially their 2% - but have been convinced that organic dairy is much better and healthier than conventional dairy, so I've switched over to Oikos (Stoneyfield's Greek yogurt). It's more expensive, but still tasty and thick and yummy!

sumire 06-26-2011 11:34 AM

For plain Greek yogurt, which I eat with fruit, I like Fage the best, 2% better than 0% when I have the calories available. But Trader Joe's Greek yogurt is much less expensive where I live, and it's "good enough" in my book, so that's what I typically eat. I don't like Chobani's plain Greek yogurt, but the flavored ones are good.

I also like Siggi's Skyr (really expensive, so it's an occasional treat). It's thick like Greek yogurt and even more tart. I believe it's produced around NYC, but has spread out to Whole Foods in other places in the US.

anthem 06-26-2011 01:24 PM

The new Fage 0% flavors are amazing...the Mango Guanabana is my favorite!

nikkinouille 06-26-2011 03:43 PM

I personally don't like Oikos. I did pick up two Fage ones today. One mango guanabana and one cherry Pomegranate. We don't have trader joes where I live but we have Harris Teeter. Might see what they carry next time I'm there.

April Snow 06-26-2011 07:33 PM

I make my own greek yogurt - I take the brand of plain, fat free yogurt that I always use (Mountain High but I'm not sure if that is a local or national brand) and then strain it in a big colander lined with a few flattened out coffee filters. You can strain it anywhere from 12 to 48 hours, depending on how thick you want it. I haven't gone beyond 24 since that is very thick and creamy but still yogurt. I think if you keep going after that, it gets more like cream cheese.

The volume goes down a huge amount, but it's still a lot less expensive than Fage and some of the others, and tastes as good to me.

3FCer344892 06-26-2011 08:22 PM

Mmmm. I LOVE Fage 0%. It's the only kind I've tried, because I can't get enough of it. I LOVE mixing a cup of frozen blueberries (thaw them in the microwave for a minute first) into it. It's creamy, sweet, a little sour, and delicious. I want to try Chobani, but the Kroger here doesn't sell it.