3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Food Talk And Fabulous Finds (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/food-talk-fabulous-finds-17/)
-   -   Tuna Tuna Tuna (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/food-talk-fabulous-finds/236279-tuna-tuna-tuna.html)

nikkinouille 06-22-2011 02:39 PM

Tuna Tuna Tuna

Alrighty... So. My boyfriend and I are going to try eating more tuna (canned). He likes his with mayo but he gets tired of things quickly. So, do any of you ladies (or gentlemen) have suggestions on different and healthy ways to prepare tuna? I like to change things up as well & I am not a fan of mayo to begin with. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated :) TIA.

(I would like to add it doesn't need to be a sandwich. I can eat it with a fork ;) haha)

mayness 06-22-2011 03:00 PM

Things that require no mixing with mayo or anything else:
Put on a salad.
Mix into a veggie stir-fry (do it at the end so it doesn't completely dissolve).
Make tuna cakes - you can find recipes online, but basically you mix with egg, breadcrumbs (I use almond flour instead since I don't eat wheat), seasonings, and maybe finely chopped veggies... form into patties and cook.
Add to a pasta salad, if you eat pasta.

Some things that other people mix with tuna instead of mayo:
Yogurt (especially greek yogurt because it's thick)
Mustard
Hummus
Salsa
Your favorite salad dressing

Try adding unusual seasonings to it - off the top of my head I think it would be good with curry powder, sesame oil, smoked paprika, hot sauce, or fresh herbs. (Make sure it goes with whatever else you're mixing it with.)

Other things to do besides sandwiches:
Hollow out a tomato and fill it with the tuna - eat raw, or throw some cheese on and bake it and it's kinda like a tuna melt.
Scoop it up with raw veggies, crackers, etc.

fillupthesky 06-22-2011 03:16 PM

my fave way to eat tuna is dressing it a little olive oil and lemon juice, pinch of salt and pepper. simple, and with stuff you prolly have on hand. you could add some celery, green onions for more flavor, if you have some laying around.

you can put this on top of greens, or on sandwich thins with some sliced tomato. YUM.

liliesinmycereal 06-22-2011 03:17 PM

I eat tuna with apple sauce! My friend got me started on it... It kind of gets rid of the fishy taste.

Munchy 06-22-2011 03:37 PM

When I was growing up I used to eat tuna with lawry's lemon pepper marinade and more fresh cracked pepper. It's awesome - fish and lemon works so well.

geoblewis 06-22-2011 03:54 PM

When I lived in Kuwait, I had an Indian cook who would make me a tuna sandwich that blew my mind! It was so good! You can find the recipe here: Tuna Subzi.

ilbnej 06-22-2011 04:11 PM

I like it in a pasta salad (you could use whole wheat), with tiny pasta noodles (love the little bowties, not sure if they make those in whole wheat), with chopped up hard boiled eggs, chopped up celery bits, peas, lemon juice, some mayo, some mustard and pickle relish - all stirred up together. Great summertime cold dinner. Yum. Now I'm getting hungry for that!

nikkinouille 06-23-2011 10:28 AM

Thank you ladies :)

going2bskinny 06-27-2011 02:11 PM

My fave way to have tuna is with light miracle whip some cracked pepper and green onions and a little secret ingredient :O if you have a jar of dill pickles in your fridge just pour a little bit of the juice from it into the tuna as well it tastes great and has a slight dill flavor I love it that way. Don't use much or it would get watery just a small splash. Then I put it on a ak mak cracker with romain lettuce or alfalfa sprouts on top mmm I'm gonna have that for dinner tonight lol.

McMurphy 06-28-2011 08:01 AM

Maybe even try mixing it with that new kind of mayo that has pepper and olive oil in it..gives it a kick :)

lauralyn 06-28-2011 11:10 AM

I mix mine with Avacado and spread it on a couple of Wasa crackers.

going2bskinny 06-28-2011 12:19 PM

I dunno if you will like this I personally wouldn't but my mom loves wasabi they make a wasabi mayo could use that and make some kind of sushi out of it maybe lol

nina125 06-28-2011 02:23 PM

Have you tried brisling sardines? Alton brown has a great recipe that he featured in his diet episode. For a variation, I use freshly diced onions, cilantro, chopped green pepper & lemon juice (instead of sherry).. My Mexican husband who hates fish, loves this recipe.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/a...ipe/index.html

P.S: you can eat this with a fork ;)

tommy 06-29-2011 05:48 PM

Yesterday I made a nice comforting dish of sauted onions, garlic and young zucchini and added a can of water pack tuna near the end and 2 beaten eggs with a bit of water. It turned out really creamy. Fresh snipped dill from the garden and lots of ground pepper were added along with a bit of crumbled feta cheese. I ate it with just a tiny bit of cooked pasta. It gave me the same feel as tuna casserole with way more veggies and minimal fat. Egg whites versus whole eggs or egg beaters would probably have worked but I had the calories in my budget.

AriesNV 06-29-2011 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by geoblewis (Post 3902871)
When I lived in Kuwait, I had an Indian cook who would make me a tuna sandwich that blew my mind! It was so good! You can find the recipe here: Tuna Subzi.

That looks amazing. Thank you! I <3 tuna!