3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Food Talk And Fabulous Finds (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/food-talk-fabulous-finds-17/)
-   -   Ideas for snacks on a boat... (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/food-talk-fabulous-finds/234678-ideas-snacks-boat.html)

boatgirl16 06-02-2011 02:57 PM

Ideas for snacks on a boat...

My hubby and I have purchased a boat and we go on the lake every weekend for the most part.

Since we stay out there all day, we bring snacks with us that are easily accessible. They haven't been the healthiest....chips, granola bars, crackers.... bunch of carbs really.

We do have a cooler we can bring to keep the food cool and I'm trying to think of some filling, healthy foods that are easy to eat and good in the heat...any ideas???

Thanks!!

bargoo 06-02-2011 03:42 PM

Carrot sticks, non fat yogurt, laughing cow cheese wedges, fresh fruit, cherry tomatoes, no lettuce or salad dressing, but raw vegies would be ok in cooler. And Water.

Ferumbras 06-02-2011 04:13 PM

Hard-boiled eggs, deviled eggs, summer sausage, beef jerky, hummus, nuts (in moderation).

Ursula745 06-02-2011 07:13 PM

Keep in mind you may still need some healthy carbs with you to avoid blood sugar drops in the heat. The heat will really lower glucose levels depending on activity. I would bring some complex carbs along with protein and a little fat. Maybe some Clif or Luna bars, cheese sticks (individually wrapped to keep longer), jerky of some sort, nuts, guacamole with whole grain chips or crackers, hummus.

boatgirl16 06-05-2011 09:53 PM

Thanks guys! Hubby and I went on boat all day sunday and I brought a Luna bar and found prepackaged apple slices with peanut butter and this lil veggie pack it had carrots, little brocollis, slice of cheese and nuts all in it.

They were great snacks...I took all of your ideas and when I went to look for stuff I found the prepackaged snacks and was excited...so much better than the other stuff I had been eating.

Now I am at ease, it's still possible to be on the lake all day and eat healthy things not just stuff that's junk and easy to grab.

I appreciate the help!

Megan1982 06-08-2011 11:08 AM

My BF has a boat and we spend a lot of time on the water. He tends to "kidnap" me when we're out there ("Oh, we're just going to run over to this other fishing spot really quick [that's 10 miles away]") so I always bring food! I bring sandwiches made with deli meat, whole grain bread, and mustard. Sometimes I make chicken salad out of lean chicken breast, lowfat mayo/Greek yogurt, celery and grapes, or oil & vinegar shrimp. I always pack fruit salad or big chunks of watermelon or pineapple (very summery and refreshing!), sliced up veggies and a lowfat dip (sometimes hummus as someone suggested). I've also brought hard boiled eggs, jerky, nuts, as already mentioned. I don't usually drink things besides water, but in addition to water with lemon & lime slices I might bring some Crystal light or Fresca to feel like I'm drinking something "special" when everyone else is drinking beer. I bring all the same things to summer BBQs - I guess these foods just say "summer" to me!

I'll start having to include the cherry tomatoes in my veggies! Yum!

bellaella 06-09-2011 10:06 AM

Holy sheesh! You girls are so lucky to be by the water and get to go on a boat!!! I'm sooo jealous!!!

If I ever got kidnapped on a boat, I would ask my capturers (is that a word) to pack me some fruits, nuts, and celery sticks!! Oh. And dried cranberrries. And little tinned tuna. Lol

Koolmum 06-09-2011 10:56 AM

My boating menu consists of wraps (I like LC cheese, ham and pickled asparagus), sandwiches for the kiddo's, apples, snap peas, celery, hummus, rice chips (not ketchup as I don't allow red food on the boat ~ it has a white interior, LOL), turkey pepperoni, cheese sticks, water and gatorade. I pack the same thing almost every weekend.
Don't forget sunscreen, lip balm, hand wipes, tiolet paper, pain reliever, and a garbage bag!