Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 06-13-2014, 01:01 PM   #1  
diamondgeog

Default Butter is Good, past 40 years of dietary advice wrong hits mainstream with Time artic

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...20on%20Fat.pdf

This is big as it is a Time article. And Time has a very interesting historical connection with dietary changes in America. They had a cover of Ancel Keys pretty much calling him the guru of nutrition.

They then had a picture of eggs with bacon as a frowning mouth. That article actually did lead to a significant reduction in egg and bacon consumption.

Yes I am on high fat and LOVING IT. Weight loss beyond my wildest dreams but also vibrant health beyond my wildest dreams. And never hungry now.

For disclosure we do eat grass fed butter only. Costs more, but costs a lot less than being unheatlhy.

This will be the lead cover story on the Time June 23rd issue.
Old 06-13-2014, 09:56 PM   #2  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

Yeah, but still not as good for you as sources of fat higher in omega 3s, specifically oily fish.

I like good fats. I do not like bad fats. And fats that are just OK like butter and lard, well I am not going to waste my time on those either.

Last edited by IanG; 06-13-2014 at 09:57 PM.
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 04:25 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 170/160/115

Height: 5'1"

Sweden has actually become the first Western nation to promote a high-fat, low-carb diet, contrary to the mainstream approach that's been popular in the developed world over the past three decades. A doctor, Andreas Eenfeldt, who runs the most popular health blog in Scandinavia, writes of Sweden's recent change:

Quote:
Butter, olive oil, heavy cream, and bacon are not harmful foods. Quite the opposite. Fat is the best thing for those who want to lose weight. And there are no connections between a high fat intake and cardiovascular disease.
I have read numerous other reports (both scholarly and opinion-based) and feel inclined to try eating more fats. I already use olive oil daily and eat meat with most of the skin still on, but I'm going to drink coffee with half-and-half and start using real butter with my bread. Essentially I'm going to try replacing some of my carb calories with fat calories and go from there.

Last edited by tardyfortheparty; 06-22-2014 at 04:30 AM.
tardyfortheparty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 07:17 AM   #4  
diamondgeog

There's all kinds of good fats. Grass fed dairy and meat is as good as wild caught fish. I'd eat high quality meat over farm fish any day for instance. But all those sources are good.

Also nuts are good in moderation. In fact full fat dairy and nut consumption are both associated with lower weight and better health despite both being high in calories.

I don't calorie count but I suspect my fat content is 50 to 70% calories from fat. Never healthier. No appetite, never sick, approaching my junior high weight, great bloodwork. Our genes evolved and we were selected to thrive on fat. I suspect most of the health, weight, and especially mental problems due to lowering fat.

Fat really critical to mental functioning. People don't understand how much their brains were craving fat until they up it.
Old 07-06-2014, 10:24 AM   #5  
diamondgeog

Default Important and needed article

http://www.providencejournal.com/opi...at-silence.ece
Old 07-06-2014, 11:00 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 180/ticker/129 or so =)

Height: 5'6.5"

Good for Sweden for being the first country to develop guidelines encouraging a lower-carb approach for weight loss! From google tanslate:

"In the short term (six months) is advice on strict or moderate carbohydrate diet more effective for weight loss than advice on low-fat diets."

For maintenance, their current guidelines seem recommend low-fat/low-glycemic/higher protein:

"After that obese people have lost weight they can maintain their weight better with advice on low-fat diets with low glycemic index and / or high protein content than with low-fat diets with high glycemic index and / or low protein content."

Full guidelines:
http://translate.google.com/translat...at-vid-fetma-/
yoyoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 07:50 AM   #7  
Crazy catlady

S/C/G: 262/251/140

Height: 5'7

Coming from the girlfriend of a 30yr old man, whose LDL-cholesterol was at a value of 370, whose father had his first heart attack at 56 and is now on a strict low-LDL-cholesterol-diet, I just cannot see this butter-hype ending well.

I'm not in favor of (extreme) low-fat diets either, but any research should be taken with a grain of salt. Because how to make name and fame in 2014 as a scientist in nutrition? Yeah, say bad foods are good.

Is butter healthier than margarine? Mehh, I guess so. But who is to say margarine isn't bad to begin with anyway?

Don't get me wrong, we do use "fat" in our diet, but solely under the form of olive oil. Both of us are taking in way less calories than before (I'm actually down to 1000 kcal, because I simply cannot eat more than what I'm eating!) and neither of us are hungry. No butter. No high-fat diet.

I guess if high-fat diets work for some, that's great. But our bodies were not created equally and they are not subject to the same conditions either.
To qualify butter as something "good"... I mean, it contains 61mg of cholesterol per oz?!
AngryShroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 09:15 AM   #8  
maintaining since 9/2013

I agree with AngryShroom. News headlines about nutrition are always veering one way then the other as we overcorrect the most recent trend. Another issue is that they tend to focus on one organ only. Maybe butter and high fat are good for heart health what about colon health? Are we going to see a spike in colon cancer after a large scale shift to high fat WOE? Many of us focus on headlines such as "Butter is Good" or "eat more fat". I don't think that's healthy without making sure to get adequate fiber too.

Last edited by mars735; 07-10-2014 at 09:15 AM.
mars735 is offline   Reply With Quote