Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 05-15-2011, 09:28 AM   #1  

Default Detrimental Breakfast?

Certainly this has been discussed before, so please forgive me if this is repetitive. I also hope I have posted this subject in the right place. If not, please forgive me for that one too.

I have great difficulty ingesting solids in the morning; I have little desire to eat. In fact, on the weekends it's not unusual for me to forgo both breakfast and lunch as I don't normally get hungry until the evening.

For the past two years I have forced myself to make smoothies in the morning, not because I am hungry, but I desire the nutrition. Herein lies an issue. I have read a number of conflicting articles about smoothies. I have read that there is a great amount of sugar in them but I am unsure if this is reasonable. Regardless of when or how one consumes fruits, shouldn't we be eating them?

I use rice milk, a few strawberries, a handful of blueberries, a handful of cranberries, some raspberries (at times), and some cherries as well as a small amount of spinach and/or celery. I throw in a banana and finish it off with soy protien powder.

Okay, reading the above sounds like a lot but I teach and have little time to eat anything during the day with the exception of lunch when I will have half of a PBJ on wheat, a V-8, cranberry juice, and grapes. I don't eat meat, by the way.

I jog and cycle often and am pretty lean. For the past two years my doctor has been amazed by my bloodwork. According to him it's excellent. What's more - he claims that I should live forever (he's kidding of course). This leads me to believe that my smoothies can't be all that bad.

Now that I've given as much detail as I think prudent, I have to ask: is my smoothie routine beneficial or not? I'm not adding any sweetener, just what's contained naturally within the fruits.

Thanks for your time and consideration.
bcsimone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 09:34 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 250/168/150

Height: 5'7"

First of all, welcome! I think it sounds beneficial to me. I have read that eating breakfast is important to keep your metabolism going, and rice milk and fruit sound healthy to me and would fit into my plan. Are you worried about the sugar in the fruit? Because if you're not adding sugar, it doesn't sound like that would be a concern.
JessLess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 09:37 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 238.5/?/no more scale 4 me!

Height: 5ft 4 (on a good day!)

i think that most "smoothies" at restaurants/chain stores i.e. Starbucks, Dunkin Donuts etc have a lot of sugar but you are making your own and the only sugar is the natural sugar in the fruit you are using. i think yours sound very healthy!
bellastarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 09:44 AM   #4  
Stressed out Mom/Student

S/C/G: 194/184/145

Height: 5'6"

I completely agree. If you're using fresh or frozen fruit you're still getting all the fiber and other good stuff and the natural sugar in fruit is a world away from white cane sugar or (god forbid:-p) High Fructose Corn Syrup. I know there are some anti-fruit people out there but, in my humble opinion, this is a great way to get your fruit in if you have trouble with solids.

And yes that smoothie does sound huge! And really yummy.
doubtingJulia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 11:23 AM   #5  

The only thing wrong with a smoothie such as you described is the blending breaks down the fiber and your body doesn't burn as many calories to digest it. What about some veggies at lunch. You've already had a days worth of fruit at breakfast.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 12:35 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 191/Ticker/140

Height: 5'3" Age 51

Well, if your health is good according to your doctor, I wouldn't be worried about it. It does sound like ALOT of fruit at one time. You don't mention if you are trying to lose weight, but if you are, you might want to reduce the amount of fruit in each smoothie.
AnnieDrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 01:08 PM   #7  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

If you don't want to eat breakfast don't eat it. I haven't eaten breakfast for well over a year and usually don't eat until 2:00 PM or later.

You don't need breakfast for any nutrtional reason nor metabolic reason. Your body doesn't work that way. We evolved over a large period of time in a time where food was scarce thus we're well adapted to periods of not eating. In fact, research has been coming out lately that shows intermittent fasting has signifigant health benefits. (Research exsists to this extent but most is done in rats)

Having said that - if you want to have a smoothie go ahead I don't see how it's a problem.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 01:58 PM   #8  
I got this

S/C/G: 206/162/135

Height: a little over 5'2

I wouldn't worry too much about it- I think they were speaking of the sugars in fruit, yogurt, milk and some people do add honey and/or sugar on TOP of it too to make it sweet. It sounds like you're doing everything right. Keep doing what you're doing!

I find using flavored (vanilla or strawberry is best for me, i find) yogurt eliminates the need for any sweeteners.
amandie is offline   Reply With Quote