Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 04-08-2011, 09:33 AM   #1  
SiLly MuCh?

S/C/G: 200/193/130

Height: 5'5''

Question Snack ideas?

Last night, I found myself searching my pantry for something to snack on. I am so used to grabbing potato chips or something easy. When nothing was there (because last shopping trip, I didn't buy any junk), I suffered a momentary heart sinking feeling.

It got me thinking that I need to come up with some new ideas for easy grab and go snack foods. I am going shopping for the week tomorrow and need some help coming up with stuff. I can only eat so many carrots and cheese sticks before I go crazy. I need some diversity to keep me on track.

What do you guys do for the attack of the munchies?
Dilli Doo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 10:17 AM   #2  
one choice at a time

S/C/G: 275/155/189/???

Height: 5'5"

To be honest, I try to stay away from snacks that are too "grab & go" - having to do a little prep first helps me separate the munchies from actual hunger that I don't mind doing a little work for.

That said, I do always keep certain grabbable snacks on hand - apples & mandarin oranges are the main ones for me. There is a naturally low-fat (not a processed-to-replace-the-fat) middle eastern cheese called Nabulsi that I always have in the house - a slice or two of that makes a great protein complement for an apple. Greek yogurt or boiled eggs are other higher-protein options that I often keep around.

My favorite snack that requires a little prep is popcorn. I keep regular unpopped kernels in the house and make them two ways. If I don't want to use any oil, I can drop a couple tablespoons of kernels into a brown paper lunch bag, fold over the top, and pop it in to the microwave for 90 seconds or two minutes for instant, fresh, oil-free microwave popcorn. If I can spare the calories for half a tablespoon of oil, I will pop some up on the stove the old-fashioned way. I just sprinkle mine with salt but you can add whatever you like.

Also, think about whether you really need as much diversity as you think - are you snacking because you are hungry, or snacking for entertainment? Don't get me wrong, I love food - I adore food, and I work hard to make sure my meals are tasty and satisfying. But for snacks, especially quick ones, it's better for me if they are bare essentials that I'll really only eat if I am actually hungry.
carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 11:06 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 133.4/123.2/115

I like to eat cheese or natural peanut butter with wasa crackers, although I know you said you're tired of cheese. Carrots, grape tomatoes, mushrooms, or sliced bell peppers with hummus, pretzels with hot and sweet mustard (I get this from Trader Joe's), jalapeno pistachios, fruit/nut mix (I like dried cranberries and mixed nuts), fruit.
Munchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 10:26 PM   #4  
a work in progress...

One of my favorite quickie snacks is Laughing Cow cheese, spread onto sundried tomatoes! Chewy and cheesy and tasty!
katrinabgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 12:06 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 175/141.5/125

Height: 5'3

Popcorn Indiana brand popcorn in the Cinnamon Sugar flavor
catahoula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 01:11 AM   #6  
~Krystal~

S/C/G: ~175/Too Much/~~ABS

Height: 5'3.5"

Now that it is nearing summer--fresh things come to mind.
At the beginning of the week, I make fresh fruit cups of great tasting fruits
(strawberry, blueberry, blackberry, raspberry)
(Honeydew, Cantaloupe, Grapes)
I keep them in 8oz containers for easy grabs.

Greek Yogurt (Plain flavored with Crystal Lite or Carmel with a few slivered almonds)

I keep plastic snack bags with Nilla Wafers sandwiched with Sunbutter (4 sandwiches per bag).
I only make up 3 bags for a week. I can't have these every day.

I keep 3oz of carrot chips in snack plastic bags and take Athenos hummus (2tbs) to graze on.

Edy's Fruit Bars

Old Fashion Rolled Oats before cardio workout (150 cals)

7 Walnut Halves (weird but works)

I ALWAYS carry a cooler in my jeep. It's like carrying a purse to me.
I keep snacks in it to resist stopping at Taco Bell or the convenience store.
It's loaded with water, fruit, Claussen pickles, Luna Bars, yogurt, or whatever.
I count the calories before leaving home to ensure I don't go overboard!
You CAN eat too much healthy!!!

Hope this gives you some ideas
K9Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 06:38 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 208(preg)/179/135?

Height: 5'3"

I do celery and peanut butter (reduced fat)

I also recommend staying away from the 100 calorie packs, they are processed foods, so they really are not good for you at all.
ryeb is offline   Reply With Quote