Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 06-24-2011, 09:44 PM   #16  
it's always something

The American Heat Association says the cons outweigh the pros for coconut oil. Dr. Andrew Weil, a big proponent of natural health care, also recommends against it.
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 12:25 PM   #17  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

I used it once but I just can't bring myself to do anything with it. I don't eat low fat but I do stick with MUFAs - olive oil, chia every day, occasional nuts. Her concern is that's been my diet for almost 4 years and I do get regular exercise but my numbers are on the low side. It may end up on my skin
CyndiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 03:38 PM   #18  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I find the research fairly persuasive that coconut oil and other saturated plant fats aren't as unhealthy as saturated animal fat (though there's also fairly compelling evidence that animal fat may not be as dangerous without co-consumption of large amounts of carbs/grains), but I don't think either means anyone should go on the all-meat or all-coconut oil diet.

What concerns me is that some of the folks who've read and/or written books like "The Coconut Oil Miracle," are using the research to justify very strange (to me) behavior. Nothing in the research suggests that you should drink the stuff or have large amounts of coconut oil at every meal or even every day.

I've heard of people going through more than a jar a week. Aside from the expense, I just don't get that.

However, since reading the research on coconut oil, I don't see it as a "healthy oil" so much as one that "may not be as bad as we thought."

It means that I'm not as concerned about using coconut milk in a curry once in a while, not an excuse to guzzle the stuff or to start deep fry everything.

People have a bizarre tendency to think "if a little is good, a shipload is better." And whatever is proclaimed a "superfood" becomes an all-you-can-swallow fad (usually at great expense).

I have to say that I was glad to see the acai and noni fad, because the cost of pomegranate and blueberry juices dropped (which I don't drink daily or weekly, but I do like to buy once in a while).

The idea of a truly balanced diet, seems to be a foreign concept (I realize we all may have slightly different ideas of what balance should look like, but the food fads are kind of disturbing).

I do best on a relatively low-carb diet. I use an exchange plan (2 dairy, 2 fruits, 3+ veggies, and 1-2 starch/grains (which I sometimes substitute with more veggies), and my fat and protein vary (I'm still not sure I've found a good balance). I chose an exchange plan, because I didn't believe in low-carb being the all-fat, all-meat diet. Combining verly low carb, with very low carb, can cause unpleasant and even dangerous side effects (the infamous and perhaps somewhat mythic rabbit starvation), but I don't see any rationale for the all-the-fat-you-can-stomach diets either.

Part of the problem I think is that there's still a huge focus on losing weight as fast as humanly possible, which inevitably means extreme behavior. We tend to think that if the change isn't extreme enough, success is impossible (or at least not worth bothering with).

Sadly, moderate behavior just isn't very popular. Extremes are fun and exciting and (we hope) will yield extreme results.

It's so ingrained, that even though I'm philosophically opposed to extremes, I'm just as drawn to them as everyone else seems to be. I think deep down, many of us are hoping for a little magic, even when we know it doesn't exist, and unscrupulous people can make a whole lot of cash, capitalizing on that wish for magic.

Last edited by kaplods; 06-25-2011 at 03:39 PM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 03:57 PM   #19  

When I read your post I had just read a newsletter by Dr. Mercola (a health guru) and his synopsis of a coconut oil study and his opinions on the subject. It is a good read and supports your doctors request. I have to admit, I had bought a jar of it a few years back, but it sat in the cupboard and I finally threw it out when it passed its expiration. It is nice to read how other people use it. I may have to try it again.
ETA: Oops, meant to post a link to the newsletter!
http://articles.mercola.com/sites/ar...-in-women.aspx

Last edited by jomatho; 06-25-2011 at 03:58 PM.
jomatho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 04:19 PM   #20  
it's always something

This is probably not going to be a popular response, but I take Mercola's views with a grain of salt because he owns a large chunk of the coconut oil industry.

A study was published showing an increase in cardiac arrhythmias in animals that consumed coconut fat instead of other fats. That worries me since I have a heart rhythm disorder anyway.

Kaplods, I agree with your comment about people (and books) in regards to consuming coconut oil as an additional food instead as a replacement. When choosing a healthy oil, we should just pick that instead of other oils when cooking. Not eat it by the spoonful I personally choose olive oil, but I did just buy a bottle of macadamia nut oil. I learned that it contains Omega 7 fatty acids which are very difficult to find, and they have many benefits.
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 04:58 PM   #21  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Personally, I think that "when in doubt, choose variety" is a pretty good strategy for most food types including fats.

I avoid the trans-fats (because no one says they're good for you), I avoid animal fat for the most part (once in a while I will use bacon or bacon fat, but in small amounts for flavoring, not as a main component of a meal. A slice or two crumbled into a dish to serve 4 or more, or to brown onions in for a casserole). We also use real butter rather than margarine. If we ate more, switching to a good margarine might be healthier, but we prefer a little bit of the real thing. We have the same strategy for cheese. We don't buy fat-free cheeses mostly because they're awful. Rather, we buy very strong flavored cheeses and use less. We usually shave or grate cheese, rather than slice it.

I try to get in more of the fats that our diets tend to be short of (the omega 3's - I haven't heard much about omega 7's).

Our main oils are canola and olive, but we also buy a variety of nut oils to use in salads. They're expensive, which is great because it encourages me to use them very, very sparingly. I use a mild rice wine vinegar to make dressings, because the vinegar is so mild very little oil is required to make a good vinaigrette.

I don't deep fry (hubby will about once or twice a year). I don't add fat just because I can.

I think people tend to see dieting or healthful eating in terms of making diet choices smaller - focusing on what to avoid or give up. I've instead looked at it as broadening my choices. Choosing more variety, more foods I never thought to try (especially in terms of fruits and vegetables).

An added benefit of seeing diet changes in terms of more choices rather than fewer, deprivation becomes less of a problem. I'm eating more variety than ever, so I feel less deprived about the few things I eat less of.

I think focusing on eating more (variety) makes eating less (calories) more comfortable.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 10:48 PM   #22  

S/C/G: 211/211/115

Height: 5'4"

Dr. Mercola might own a large chunk of the industry (and not just coconuts, but supplements too), but I like to follow his site and I do find that a lot of what he posts makes sense and there are references there for you to research and draw your own conclusions. Anyone who takes the time to inform us probably has something to gain from it

I am overweight, but I've always had excellent cholestrol levels (plenty of the good, very little of the bad). I use coconut oil for cooking. I use real butter too. I don't use it every day, but I do have it a few times a week.
ohmai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 12:42 PM   #23  

S/C/G: 196/187/139

Height: 5ft 9

I've been using coconut oil in my diet for years.
I'm not a registered dietitian, but have studied as much or more than they do for a very long time. I stay on top of studies, myself, and dredge through science related sites looking for them, as if they were crack.
I do plan on becoming an RD eventually.

My problem isn't that I eat unhealthy, it's that I eat too MUCH healthy food. lol

I wouldn't recommend an additional supplement of coconut oil.
I *would* recommend substituting it for other fats, however. You can "butter" toast with it, use it in your cooking, etc. A tbsp here and there will help you out without ruining your calorie intake.
It doesn't really need to be every day.

Switching to coconut drinking milk(unsweetened, in milk cartons - not the canned stuff) from skim milk, could make a difference as well. I love the stuff.
Much better flavour and texture than almond milk, imo.

Hope this helps some!

edit: just want to add that there's no solid evidence that it won't hurt your LDL. there are so many inconsistencies with studies about coconut products in general.
most of the anti people are old school, but that doesn't necessarily mean that they're "behind the times".
as I said, I do not recommend adding it as a supplement, but moderation in adding some coconut products here and there(as replacements for other foods) could definitely make a positive difference for you. Then again, the same could be said about adding other helpful HDL raising sources.

Last edited by RawrDinosaur; 07-06-2011 at 01:21 PM.
RawrDinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote