3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Food Talk And Fabulous Finds (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/food-talk-fabulous-finds-17/)
-   -   What seasoning do you use on your popcorn?? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/food-talk-fabulous-finds/227578-what-seasoning-do-you-use-your-popcorn.html)

prepping 03-08-2011 02:14 PM

What seasoning do you use on your popcorn??

I just started airpopping my popcorn and I'm looking for recipe ideas for the seasoning. So far my seasoning mixtures have been lacking as it ends up tasting pretty plain.

What seasoing combos work for people here?
Thanks! :D

aimeebell 03-08-2011 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by prepping (Post 3748619)
I just started airpopping my popcorn and I'm looking for recipe ideas for the seasoning. So far my seasoning mixtures have been lacking as it ends up tasting pretty plain.

What seasoing combos work for people here?
Thanks! :D

Someone recently posted that they use a packet of Splenda, spray butter, and cinnamon. I stole the idea, added salt, and it is delicious.

amandie 03-08-2011 02:45 PM

Personally, I love hot sauce and (coarse ground) black pepper on it. I've tried the cheese sprinkles (yuck) and I have to put on a LOT just to taste it while a little hot sauce goes a long way, ya know? :) Sometimes I do chili powder but it doesn't stick to it like hot sauce does, lol.

Aimee- I may have to try that with the salt because when I tried that splenda/spray butter/cinnamon idea, I thought it was TOO sweet even with little splenda, ya kw? Maybe the salt will help counteract that. Thanks!

OP- What seasoning mixtures have you used?

oodlesofnoodles 03-08-2011 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aimeebell (Post 3748641)
Someone recently posted that they use a packet of Splenda, spray butter, and cinnamon. I stole the idea, added salt, and it is delicious.

Heck yessss. I do that too. So delicious.

prepping 03-08-2011 03:43 PM

aimee, I've tried cinnamon but didn't have any splenda with it. That was actually one of the next ones I was going to try. Never thought about adding salt too!

amandie, hot sauce and black pepper? interesting! So far I have tried a garlic/chili powder mixture, cajun/garlic, cinnamon, and cocoa/splenda. I use the spray butter Pam to help it stick but still find that I'm not getting a lot of flavour. So far the cocoa/splenda was the most pleasing which is something I didn't expect.

I'm thinking maybe I have to use some more sprays and more seasoning immediately after the spray. I'll try anything! :p

tommy 03-08-2011 04:07 PM

Rather than seasoning the popcorn I usually have a small dish on the side with some sweet and hot mustard and some kind of hot sauce. I dip the popcorn gently into them. I love this with grape tomatoes and maybe a string cheese stick. It forces me to take just a few pieces at a time. One of the things that bothered me about eating popcorn- even though super low cal- was that I was stuffing handfuls in my mouth. I do not want to encourage that kind of mindless, more more more behavior. My current method works best for me.

PinknPurple 03-08-2011 10:59 PM

The salt the theaters use is called flavacol. I am not sure on the nutritional, but a REALLY tiny bit goes a long way and makes it taste like movie popcorn, even the smart pop stuff. I know they sell it online but I would look for stores because online they tend to make you buy a lot at once. Its 3 or 4 dollars for enough that will last you years though. Just a thought :) I have tried the hot sauce idea because I know MANY people that love it, but I find that damp popcorn is weird to me. :shrug:

Angie 03-09-2011 12:50 PM

I melt a tablespoon of ICBINB and splash 5-6 drops of hot sauce into the melted butter and pour that on...voila! buffalo popcorn...it's yummy!

prepping 03-09-2011 01:53 PM

wow there's a lot of hot sauce popcorn lovers! I never thought of a mustard dip either. I'd have to look into Flavacol... I was generally gearing towards staying away from super processed flavours (otherwise i'd be happy with my smart pop!) :)

Thanks for your recommendations all! And if anyone else has ideas, I'd be more than happy to hear!

setsysan 03-09-2011 10:47 PM

Sixteen semisweet chocolate chips and five mini marshmallows! Put em in while its hot and jump around like mad to shake them in, while getting exercise lol.

indiblue 03-10-2011 12:56 AM

1. Nutritional yeast (gives it almost a cheesy flavor plus nutrients boost)

2. Spray butter and seasoned salt. Much better than regular salt. Yum!

3. Agree- a few semi-sweet chocolate chips. A little goes a long way.

amandie 03-10-2011 01:36 AM

Semi-sweet chocolate chips? This I have to try!

Tai 03-10-2011 02:10 AM

I like to shake some parmesan cheese into my popcorn. A little goes a long way.

Kateryna 03-13-2011 06:31 PM

I read this one girl (forgot her name) here did it and I tried and OMG it's so good!!!!

- Sprinkle with a packet of Splenda and Cinnamon = tastes like Toffee Crunch

arizonaskye 02-01-2012 06:18 AM

My favorite is Tapatio hot sauce on popcorn, or if I don't have that I'll use chili powder, and pepper.