Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 03-20-2011, 02:14 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 280/ticker/10

Height: 5'2

Default Any non vegetarians love soy meat substitutes?

It's pretty silly actually, I don't even know why I'm on Atkins because I can eat all the meat I want but I actually prefer boca/morningstar burgers. The flavor is amazing to me. I went through a box of Morningstar griller's prime since Wednesday and now I'm starting on a box of Boca. MMM. Lunch was a Boca burger topped with some pepperjack cheese. Heaven.

They actually seem to leave me fuller than real meat burgers do, too.
Linsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 03:35 PM   #2  
Go For Your Dreams!

S/C/G: HW340/340/160

Height: 5'6

Default :p

Its so funny you mention Boca Burgers bc when i read the title of this thread thats the 1st thing that came to my mind. I LOVE Boca Burgers!! The taste is so amazing and they are so filling. And you gotta love the calories & nutrition content, the ones I get are only 100 cals 1 g fat 19g protein, 8g carbs & 6 of them are dietary fiber so really 2g actual carbs & 1 g of sugar! (LOL I sound like an infomercial) But seriously you cannot go wrong with that!! I usually have it w a slice of Bordens fat free cheese & a sandwich thin w pickles & mustard YUMMMMMMMMMMMMM A nice thick yummy burger for only 100 cals, add the rest off the stuff U got an amazing tasting lunch with only 230 cals ( I usually eat a nice big salad or broccoli with it)

I forget how I started eating these, but ever since I started I have not ate a beef or turkey burger since.
CandyCoatedSymphony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 04:03 PM   #3  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I like the Boca and Morningstar farms products. Not so much the burgers (even though I like those) as much as the faux chicken products (love those), like Morningstar Farms faux buffalo nuggets.

My favorite soy product though is tvp (textured vegetable protein). It has virtually no fat, so I use it to transform cheap ground beef (80 to 85 % lean) into something more like 90- 95% lean ground beef for less than the price per serving of even the cheapest ground beef (70% lean).

I brown dehyrdated tvp granules with ground beef and seasoning veggies (garlic, onion, celery, and sometimes bell pepper or mushrooms), and once the beef is no longer pink, I add in hot water or broth (you need about the same volume of liquid to tvp, depending on how dry you want the mixture).

Then I freeze the mixture in ziploc bags "smooshing" around the bag every 20 minutes or so as it freezes, so that it freezes in scooplable crumbles. Then for recipes calling for browned ground meat, I just scoop out what I need.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 04:47 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 280/ticker/10

Height: 5'2

I saw lots of stuff including pizza burgers, chicken (most of them were breaded though so I skipped those, too many carbs) etc. The Boca burgers I bought were 6 carbs and 5 fiber. 1 carb per VERY filling burger and low in carbs. Kaplods, the chicken is good? I've been weary of trying it but I might buy a box next time if I can find some that aren't breaded. I've seen you post about TVP before, I should really try that to stretch out meat. In my family we eat tons of ground beef and I hate wasting it so maybe I could buy a pound or two and freeze it like that.

Another reason I like them is convenience. A quick, easy and filling meal for a minute or two in the microwave plus some veggies or salad. Regular burgers or turkey burgers need to be thawed and fried/grilled/baked which takes a while and makes a mess.
Linsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 06:07 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 181/175/125

i really love quorn products. I don't think they're made out of soy, but mycoprotein.. hm, some kinds of mushrooms I think. They are SO good, I love the breaded chickn' one, and turkey patty, delicious. I worry about GMO's in my food, so I quit eating morningstar products awhile ago.
therex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 09:48 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 225/207/140

Height: 5'5

soyrizo
ohmanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 04:05 AM   #7  
Winning!

S/C/G: 287.8/276.6/142

Height: 5'3.5"

I love boca burgers! I am eating low carb, and I find them a nice change from real meat. I like melting some cheese on one, and topping with some salsa + a side of veggies. I get a box of 16 "big burgers" (the 100 calorie ones) for less than $10 at Sam's club.

For non-low carb, I love the Morningstar Farms BBQ Riblets... I am not a huge red meat fan, but I love these fake-meat ribs haha..I like most of their products.. even the corn dogs are good hehe

As far as turkey burgers go, they are way too messy for me to make on the stove, but using a foreman grill it's pretty easy to clean up... I take it straight from the freezer to the grill, and cook for 10 minutes.
drinkypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 05:34 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 181/175/125

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohmanda View Post
soyrizo

OH **** YEAH.
therex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 06:54 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 134/126/under 124

Height: 5'2.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohmanda View Post
soyrizo
I'm vegetarian but my boyfriend, who is Mexican, LOVES Trader Joe's Soy Chorizo. He's a snob when it comes to his meat, but this one is a winner. Stains your hands a bit but it's worth it
indiblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 12:30 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 222/220/160

Height: 5'7

I love many of the different meat-free burgers, especially the black bean. I also love tofu, I have it almost every night in a some sort of stir fry.
lunameower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 09:08 AM   #11  

Height: 5'8"

I like both MorningStar and Boca products. I get the veggie crumbles from MorningStar. Our local BJ's carries them which is great.

kaplods thanks for sharing, I will definitely try that. I bought tvp for the 1st time last year but never really knew what to make with it. It always came out bland. Guess I didn't put enough flavor in it. Going to have to try it again.

And thanks for mentioning the soy chorizo. I never even bother looking for something like that. We have Trader Joe's around here, will definitely look for it!
friendlykat4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 12:18 PM   #12  

S/C/G: S-218/C-170/G-159 & 24.9 BMI

Height: 5'7"-BMI-26.6=OVERWEIGHT

I bought a lot of the Boca products this weekend. I love the Boca Burger and Boca Chicken Patty. DELICIOUS!!!
LAgreeneyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 12:35 PM   #13  
is super awesome.

S/C/G: ...ticker...

Height: 5'7"

I love the boca spicy chicken pattys... oh, my... yes. LOL. And I love the morningstar farms breakfast sausage pattys, I use a whole wheat english muffin, a fat free cheese slice and an egg white 'round' (that i make in a roung cookie cutter, lol) with one and its like a sausage egg and cheese.. lol. Love.
kateleestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 12:39 PM   #14  

S/C/G: S-218/C-170/G-159 & 24.9 BMI

Height: 5'7"-BMI-26.6=OVERWEIGHT

Quote:
Originally Posted by kateleestar View Post
I love the boca spicy chicken pattys... oh, my... yes. LOL. And I love the morningstar farms breakfast sausage pattys, I use a whole wheat english muffin, a fat free cheese slice and an egg white 'round' (that i make in a roung cookie cutter, lol) with one and its like a sausage egg and cheese.. lol. Love.
So the breakfast sausage pattys are good. I'm putting it on my list now. Thanks for the tip.

I did the cookie cutter thing this morning. LOL
LAgreeneyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 01:43 PM   #15  
is super awesome.

S/C/G: ...ticker...

Height: 5'7"

Yeah, I had one of those maker things, and LOVED IT but it died on christmas morning, lol... so my solution till I buy another is the largest round fondant cutter I have, lol. It works! Not as well, but.. still. Till then...
kateleestar is offline   Reply With Quote