3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Food Talk And Fabulous Finds (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/food-talk-fabulous-finds-17/)
-   -   Pickles and other foods (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/food-talk-fabulous-finds/227184-pickles-other-foods.html)

Linsy 03-03-2011 06:50 PM

Pickles and other foods

Why have I not been eating pickles? They are low in calories and carbs, take FOREVER to eat, and give a lot of the "crunch" that I've been missing. I've been sitting here snacking on the same pickle for about 10 minutes and I'm still not done yet! The flavor is also so strong that it seems to have taken away my insane cravings that I've been having. Next time I get an almost uncontrollable urge to stuff food in my face, I'm going to go get a pickle instead. :)

Does anyone else share my new found love for pickles or have any other foods that they use to take away the urge to snack?

Shytowngal 03-03-2011 07:00 PM

I LOVE pickles too! I find that anything with vinegar helps curb cravings. The only thing you have to worry about is the sodium level. Chug some water as you snack.

TooManyDimples 03-03-2011 07:04 PM

Yep, the only reason I don't go pickle crazy is the sodium.

foodmasochist 03-03-2011 07:39 PM

i eat pickles all the time!! They rock!

sept15lija 03-03-2011 07:48 PM

That's good to know!! I always get pickles on my chicken pitas and I feel slightly guilty because I don't count the calories, good to know they're low cal. I knew about the sodium though, so only have a few!

bellastarr 03-03-2011 08:10 PM

I am obsessed with pickles!!!!!!!! Sooooooooooooooooo good!!!

jendiet 03-03-2011 08:37 PM

pickles and other vinegary foods also have the added bonus of lowering your blood sugar after a meal, which causes you to have less intense insulin spikes and less hunger cravings. Just watch your salt intake.

gagalu 03-03-2011 08:52 PM

pickles help me a lot too!! i only use them when i'm going realllly nuts, because they're so high in sodium. but i figure sodium is way better than extra calories.

marianne78 03-04-2011 01:44 AM

Pickles are yummy, though I try not to eat them a lot because of the sodium. But snacking on pickles is much better than snacking on potato chips, I suppose.

tommy 03-04-2011 12:18 PM

Pickles add zing to lots of foods. I quick pickles cucumber, radish, onion and carrot regularly and eat it with my meals. As a kid I loved those giant dill pickles from the barrels -many stores now have them vacuum packed in single serving bags. We would carry our giant pickles around for hours and munch on them. Just gotta watch for the sugar content on some pickles- there can be lots of it in some pickled mixtures that do not taste all that sweet. Luckily I am a big water drinker and not sodium sensitive.

ringmaster 03-04-2011 01:41 PM

I love pickles and also those little jarred green pepperoncinies (these are hot so eat a few and you have to drink alot of water... then you feel full!).

PinknPurple 03-08-2011 11:33 PM

I love pickles too, if you happen to be a costco member, look in the refrigerated prepared foods section (there is pre-sliced cheese and mozzarella balls and other specialty prepared foods in that section) for "Carnegie Deli" pickles. $5 for a huge container. They are the best pickles I have ever tried! I throw some in a baggie and take them to work. The spears are big and last a long time while snacking.

cbmare 04-05-2011 05:57 PM

Pickleholic here. I really love 'em. I love the Kosher Dill ones from Trader Joe's. I drink a ton of water anyway, so I don't worry about it. I love olives as well but they are so fattening considering the little bites you get. Really runs the calorie count up. My TJ's Dills don't!

WeightForMe 04-05-2011 09:31 PM

O M G. Me+pickles=LOVE

Lylitu 04-05-2011 09:58 PM

Frozen green grapes are delicious to snack on and only 3 calories per filled with lots of vitamins. I work overnights as a night stocker and when I get home at night I need to eat something just to get me to sleep and a cup of frozen grapes is great.