3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Food Talk And Fabulous Finds (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/food-talk-fabulous-finds-17/)
-   -   Dreamfields Pasta...carbs or not? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/food-talk-fabulous-finds/224947-dreamfields-pasta-carbs-not.html)

jhinako 02-06-2011 09:32 AM

Dreamfields Pasta...carbs or not?

So I'm sure at least some of you have heard of the Dreamfields pasta, which claims that their pasta has only 5 grams of digestible carbs in it, though it pretty much has the same ingredients as other similar pastas and the box itself reads 41 carbs per serving. They claim that something they do in the manufacturing process makes most of the carbs "protected" or undigestable and this paired with the fiber in it equals 5 grams of carbs per serving.

So sure, 5 grams of carbs per serving sounds great, but what is the overall opinion on this product? I've read some reviews which are testing blood sugar after eating the pasta to see if it raises levels as much as a "normal" pasta and the some of the results said no, and some said yes.

So, I'm just trying to find out some more about this product and if it's really what it claims to be and was wondering if any one else uses it or knows more about it?

nelie 02-06-2011 09:39 AM

I'm not sure what they do to the pasta but looking at the ingredients, they add fiber and they add wheat gluten (which is high protein). So it seems like they are adding undigestible fiber to it as well as lowering the GL due to adding fiber/protein.

I don't eat low carb so if I was going to eat pasta, I'd just eat pasta. If you are worried about GL and want to eat pasta, then I'd say it could be an option for you. Personally, I'm a bigger fan of Quinoa pasta.

Diana3271 02-06-2011 10:30 AM

I don't think I've ever had it, either. I don't eat a lot of pasta just because of the amount of calories vs. how much/little a serving of pasta is. I am a bigger eater. I will eat a serving of pasta and then load up on the veggies for volume. I have also made zucchini "spaghetti". Last night I used broccoli slaw. It's so much easier to cook a package of broccoli slaw. I had a huge serving (a full plate) of mushroom and chicken alfredo over broccoli slaw. It was tasty and filling!

fitkristi 02-06-2011 10:46 AM

We almost exclusively eat Dreamfields pasta - I don't care for the taste of whole wheat pasta. I started using it when I was doing a diet for insulin resistance due to PCOS, and wanted a pasta alternative. To me, I can't taste much difference between the Dreamfields and regular pasta, which was important to me. It can get gummy if you overcook it, but that is the same with any pasta. I still make sure to eat the correct portion sizes, as I am a calorie counter, not just a carb counter.
When I was specifically counting carbs (and calories!) for the insulin resistance diet, I counted the net carbs that they claim and still lost weight. I don't know how much of a difference it makes though!

So long story short, it doesn't taste horrible. ;)