milk? sooo many choices!

• Cow milk. Soy milk. Almond milk. Coconut milk.

Organic milk or not?

Brands?

Whole. 2% 1% skim?

Is anyone else as confused as I am? I just want it for coffeee and cereal and cooking.

Help!
  • Well...here is my 2 cents

I am allergic to tree nuts, so Almond milk is out

Soy milk is gross (IMO)

and never had Coconut milk.

For coffee I use fat free 1/2 and 1/2 or sugar free coffeemate
    Tea I use milk 1%
    and for cereal (when I ate it) I used milk (since I do not drink the cereal milk anyway ew)

AND, I do not "drink" milk. It makes my tummy upset and um ew.

Cooking, I use milk or the 1/2 and 1/2 or cream, depending on what the recipe calls for.

Oh and I go for the Organic. But I tend to go for the Organic whenever I can anyway.
  • One of the top 5 staples I buy is unsweetened almond milk. I use it in my coffee and/or oatmeal every day and love it because not only does it taste great, but it only has 40 calories per cup. I like soymilk too, but not as much as almond milk and since it has more calories I opt for the almond milk. I've also had rice milk, but I personally don't really think it tastes like anything. I haven't tried some of the more exotic milks like hemp, oat, etc.

I use skim milk once in a while if I'm at someone's house or traveling or something and I don't have access to almond milk, but cow's milk tends to make me a little congested and bogs me down. I never noticed this when I drank it all the time, but now that I use it sparingly I do notice the difference.

I also buy the unsweetened chocolate almond milk when I can find it (to just drink), but usually they only have the regular chocolate kind in the store and the calorie difference between the two is pretty big.
  • Honestly, I'm not a milk fan, not in any format. Something about it... the look or something of it kind of grosses me out. I don't know what it is about it. If its mixed in with a smoothie thats fine, but other than that I'm not a fan.

Dexter (my roommie/best friend/ex-boyfriend) however, LOVES milk, and drinks soymilk regularly, and really likes almond milk.
  • Have been a daily milk drinker all my life... used to drink a half a gallon a day in the summer whan I was a teen. Probably between a pint and a quart a day now.

I go mostly 2%. Whole milk tastes a little heavy to me, but it's my next choice. 1% is tolerable. Don't like skim, it's too watery.

If I have a large portion of ice cream (which I have not for two months now ) then I'll chase it with some plain milk. Ice cream is a bit salty and it makes me thirsty...

Yes, milk is slightly congestive (can sense it in my voice shortly after drinking it) but that's not bad on dry winter days.

I can skip breakfast and lunch, just drinking milk, if I want to.
  • I use light vanilla soymilk on my morning cereal.

I use fat free H & H at home in my coffee and tea

I use 2% or regular H & H at work in my coffee

I stopped drinking milk as a beverage years ago.
  • I buy whole, non-homogenized cows milk for my husband. It's also what I use to cook and if I eat any cereal.
  • hyland makes a skim plus that tastes just like 2% but only 80 cals.