Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 01-03-2011, 10:23 AM   #16  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Well if the expiration date was 2012 then maybe not old. Honestly, I don't have a lot of luck with bagged beans unless I buy them at a Latino market. Generally I buy them from the bulk bean section of various markets such as Whole Foods.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 10:34 AM   #17  

S/C/G: 290/283/150

Height: 5'10"

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelie View Post
Well if the expiration date was 2012 then maybe not old. Honestly, I don't have a lot of luck with bagged beans unless I buy them at a Latino market. Generally I buy them from the bulk bean section of various markets such as Whole Foods.
Gotcha. Our Whole Foods is about half an hour away and I still don't have my license, but maybe one day that will be an option for me. Being 21, I really have no excuse to not be driving yet I suppose. Thanks for the help.
megwini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 10:37 AM   #18  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Quote:
Originally Posted by megwini View Post
Gotcha. Our Whole Foods is about half an hour away and I still don't have my license, but maybe one day that will be an option for me. Being 21, I really have no excuse to not be driving yet I suppose. Thanks for the help.
I didn't get my license until I was 23

If you have other stores that sell bulk beans/grains, I'd also check them out. We have a few but all of them are local chains.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 04:36 AM   #19  

I LOVE LOVE LOVE Black Beans. I would eat them everyday. lol!
My personal favorite way to eat them is topped with fat free cheese and salsa. Plain is good too!
callie06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 05:25 PM   #20  
little by little

S/C/G: 220/215/150

Height: Five foot two

I love black beans, they are my favorite bean ever.

I buy them in a bag and boil them. I like to keep them in the house at all times because you can add them to SO much or make a soup from them.
Martina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 08:48 AM   #21  

S/C/G: 252

Height: 5'11''

Hi everyone - newbie here, but I LOVE BLACK BEANS and use them in chili instead of kidney beans! I also love to make black bean salsa with chipotle! Delish. Any sort of bean is a blessing! I work as a personal chef for an elderly man who is trying to lose more than 100lbs (we lost 36, last year - but gained it all back since Labor Day - alcohol!) We're doing a high protein, low carb diet (Atkins, with a little South Beach going on), and with 75lbs to lose myself, I'm joining in, this time. My mind wasn't in the right place, last year. So, I'm delighted to find this thread. We "foodies" have a more difficult time than most getting rid of the poundage, though my downfall is seldom my own cooking! I bake, for instance, and never have any trouble not eating a slice of cake or a bowl of whatever splendid dessert I've concocted. I have impulse control issues - it's the pint of HaagenDaz, the occasional bag of Cape Cod potato chips (big one) and yesterday's inexplicable foray into MacDonalds for an order of FRENCH FRIES (that were not even that good but I ate them anyway) - that gets me! How DO you reason yourself out of that sort of sabotage? I lost five pounds since New Year's Eve! WHY would I do such a thing? After all the years of gaining and losing weight (252lbs right now - have been as low as 165 lbs, this within six weeks of having twins thirty years ago). I should be about 185lbs (am 5'11") - and am truly going to keep working on it. Today's another day, right, and I've come far enough to know that just because I blow it one day doesn't mean I have to the next. One day at a time, indeed!
LolaCrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 11:40 AM   #22  

Quote:
Originally Posted by LolaCrane View Post
a slice of cake or a bowl of whatever splendid dessert I've concocted. I have impulse control issues - it's the pint of HaagenDaz, the occasional bag of Cape Cod potato chips (big one) and yesterday's inexplicable foray into MacDonalds for an order of FRENCH FRIES (that were not even that good but I ate them anyway) - that gets me! How DO you reason yourself out of that sort of sabotage?
For starters, I don't read about how delicious this or that garbage, high-calorie food is in a thread about black beans. Frankly, what I've quoted above feels like taunting.
MariaMaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 01:21 PM   #23  
Powered by tofu

S/C/G: 207/203/140ish ??

Height: 5'4''

Black beans are one of my favorite beans! I make my beans in the crock pot and freeze 1 - 2 cup portions so I can defrost them as needed. I usually keep black, pinto, and chickpeas on hand. I put them in chili or soup, on salad, in burritos or tacos, or black bean hummus.

Last edited by shananigans; 01-07-2011 at 01:30 PM. Reason: link to hummus recipe
shananigans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 03:26 PM   #24  

Quote:
Originally Posted by MariaMaria View Post
For starters, I don't read about how delicious this or that garbage, high-calorie food is in a thread about black beans. Frankly, what I've quoted above feels like taunting.
Ooops, sorry - as a newcomer, I hadn't read anything in the guidelines that precludes discussing any kind of foods. If anything I wrote could be construed as "taunting", then I apologise. It was the furthest thing from my mind, I assure you - I was actually asking for help in understanding why I/we sabotage ourselves in so many ways, despite the best of intentions. Infact, it looks as if I did it again! Good luck to you.
Old 01-07-2011, 03:58 PM   #25  

S/C/G: 364/353/165

No worries Lola, you didn't say anything wrong at all. We're all here to help each other after all. Welcome!

I've got to get in on this black bean thing, I LOVE soup and spicy things, so maybe I'll start there. I bought a bunch of different dried beans to try (for health AND cost!) but haven't really been sure what to do with them :*
Kitsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 04:20 PM   #26  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitsey View Post
No worries Lola, you didn't say anything wrong at all. We're all here to help each other after all. Welcome!

I've got to get in on this black bean thing, I LOVE soup and spicy things, so maybe I'll start there. I bought a bunch of different dried beans to try (for health AND cost!) but haven't really been sure what to do with them :*
Thanks for the support, Kitsey! Regarding beans - they're all fantastically good for us since fibre is key to moving off the weight! I like to make white chicken chili with black and white beans, scrumptious! And black bean hummous is delicious - I scoop it up on zucchini slices. I made a wonderful kale, mustard greens and collards soup with a jar of 15 assorted beans someone gave me for Christmas. Chicken broth based with lots of sauted onions and garlic to start it off. I have a client who loves assorted beans in brown rice (which we can't in the intial stages of most diets, but is a great thing for later on. Remember, beans+brown rice combine to make a perfect protein!) There are so many fantastic recipes available on the 'net, that "what to do with beans" should never be a mystery. The most important thing of all is to EAT them
Old 01-08-2011, 05:39 PM   #27  

I never thought of putting them in cottage cheese. Thank you for a new meal idea!! (P.S. I love black beans, and all beans for that matter!)
GlamourGirl827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 06:57 PM   #28  

I like black beans the most. I think I heard that they are among the healthiest beans, too. I add them to casseroles, chilis, soups, salads, and salsa (corn, red onion, etc).

megwini, I've had weird results with dried chickpeas, too. It seems like you have to cook the heck out of them to get a similar texture to canned ones. I tend to go for canned chickpeas because of this.

, LolaCrane!

Last edited by Hyacinth; 01-08-2011 at 07:01 PM.
Hyacinth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 10:20 PM   #29  

S/C/G: 218/188/150

Height: 5'5

Beans are the bomb. I adore them, my husband and I just had the conversation about beans the other day. Black beans are my favorite but I also love kidney beans, lima beans, garbanzo beans, black eyed peas (I know a pea), baked beans....I could go on. I could eat them everyday with couscous or quinoa there's enough of a variety of beans that they are all I need!
suenos096 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 10:35 PM   #30  

S/C/G: 200/176/140

Height: 5'4"

Me!!
LindseyLou is offline   Reply With Quote