Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 12-23-2010, 03:40 PM   #1  
Back in the saddle again

S/C/G: 249/ticker/149

Height: 5'6"

Default Just ate a meal I would have never even tried before...

and I really liked it! I found the recipes on allrecipes.com and modified them to fit my plan.

I made Carrot "Burgers" with shredded carrots, crushed Fiber One, egg, worcester sauce, and spices... topped with low sugar ketchup and mustard. I also made Buttery Lemon Spinach with garlic browned in just a tiny bit of butter, spinach wilted on top with a bit of lemon juice to create the steam necessary for wilting.

Two recipes I wouldn't have even considered before, and now, I not only made them, but I liked them.
spixiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 12:41 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 290/283/150

Height: 5'10"

Mmmmmmm those sound really good. The second one actually sounds like a recipe by Alton Brown I've been meaning to try (he is hands down my favorite cook and I LOVE his show ). The recipe is Vlad's Very Garlicky Greens (http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/a...ipe/index.html):

Ingredients
5 to 7 cloves garlic, peeled, plus 2 cloves garlic, one sliced, one minced
Enough olive oil to cover the bottom of a wide saute pan
4 big handfuls greens (baby mustard, turnip, chard), picked and roughly shredded
Salt and freshly ground black pepper

Directions
Place saute pan over medium heat and then lightly crush 5 to 6 garlic cloves. When the pan is hot, add just enough oil to cover the bottom of the pan and add the garlic. Cook, stirring frequently until golden brown (3 to 5 minutes). Remove from the oil. At this point, the greens can be quickly Sauteed for a mild garlic flavor.

If you're looking for something a little stronger, thinly sliver 1 clove and add it to the pan stirring constantly (burned garlic is not Good Eats, nor is anything that touches it). Once the slivers turn golden, add the greens and toss to coat with the hot oil. Season with salt and pepper as soon as the greens start to wilt and plate immediately.

If you're looking for even more garlic flavor, finely mince a clove of garlic and toss it into the greens during the last 30 seconds of cooking and toss the greens to distribute. Keep the pan and the greens moving constantly, if you can.

Serve as a side dish or toss with pasta and serve as a main course.

(Also, yours is probably healthier =P But I don't mind using oils like olive oil, and I prefer full fat unprocessed foods over low fat processed ones, so I do like his recipes a lot. But I bet yours is fab too!!!!)

Last edited by megwini; 12-27-2010 at 12:44 AM.
megwini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 08:26 AM   #3  
Bobbi

S/C/G: 130/123/120

Height: 5’ 2”

I love the allrecipe.com site, I use it almost everyday. What's the name of the carrot burger recipe, I'd like to try them. Fiber One is what I eat every morning for breakfast and I have carrots from our summer garden on hand so all I need is the recipe. Thanks!
Bobbolink is offline   Reply With Quote