Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 12-15-2010, 12:13 PM   #1  
Maintainer since 12/21/10

S/C/G: 260/144/145

Height: 5'5"

Default Presto Poplite Hot-Air Popcorn Popper

Spixiet's thread got me thinking about popcorn. A couple of my mainstay food items have been discontinued lately, and I thought it would be nice to add something to my repertoire.

I bought this item at my local big-box store for $14.88 plus tax. It came with a coupon for fancy-schmancy popping corn, but I decided to start with a bag of store-brand yellow corn. I've popped two batches so far, and I'm very happy with it. It's definitely no-frills, but it does the job nicely.

One helpful hint I saw online was "keep the popper tilted back about 30 degrees until the corn starts popping"--this minimizes the number of unpopped kernels that come shooting out. The yield was excellent compared to microwave popcorn, and I thought it tasted just fine with no salt or other toppings (though some other people might find it unpalatable that way).

So I have a new high-volume, high-fiber, relatively low-calorie snack in my bag of tricks.
Oboegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 04:15 PM   #2  

Great tip on the tilting. I may have to try to find my old hot air popper and ditch the Pop Secret 100 calorie microwave snack bags. Isn't popcorn miraculous? I like it with some hot mustard to "dip".
tommy is offline   Reply With Quote