Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 12-06-2010, 07:12 PM   #1  
Back in the saddle again

S/C/G: 249/ticker/149

Height: 5'6"

Default FYI - Jolly Time popcorn fiber

Awhile ago, I posted a question regarding Jolly Time Popcorn:

Quote:
Does anyone know how Jolly Time Healthy pop could really have over double the fiber of other popcorn brands? I've looked at serving sizes for popped and unpopped, and no matter how you cut it, their fiber looks significantly higher. There's nothing on the ingredient list that would account for extra fiber - it just seems odd to me
If anyone is interested, I received a reply from the company today - and based on my personal observations visually comparing the popcorn to other brands, it's seems a completely legitimate explanation - They explained that they do grow their own popcorn hybrid that has a smaller popped kernel size. Comparing volume to volume with another popcorn brand would mean more popped kernels in the JollyTime, therefore, since the fiber is in the hull of each kernel, and a bag of JollyTime has more kernels per popped volume, it has a higher fiber content.
spixiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 01:29 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 172.8/168/145 maybe?

Height: 5'2

Ooooooooo I didn't kow that. I'll check my box tomorrow. So not popcorn is equal. ??? I think we have a box of orval and jollytime. Tis is good to know.

Thanks. I need that fiber.
tytbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 09:33 AM   #3  
Back in the saddle again

S/C/G: 249/ticker/149

Height: 5'6"

Here's their official response (with their permission to post)...Calories compared to other brands are nearly identical, the entire bag may have about 1 cup less popcorn than Orville's Smart Pop...but the fiber count is double - if not more~

The hybrids grown by JOLLY TIME generally test higher in fiber than other brands of pop corn. These hybrids produce a slightly smaller popped kernel. Consequently, you end up with more kernels of popped pop corn per cup, which translates to more fiber per cup.

The numbers in the first column of the Nutrition Facts are based on an FDA defined standard serving of raw, uncooked pop corn that, when popped, yields approximately 5 cups of popped pop corn for Healthy Pop Butter and 4 cups of popped pop corn for Healthy Pop Kettle. The numbers in the second column represent the values after the pop corn has been popped. FDA requires us to report these values based on 1 cup of popped pop corn. Many of those numbers can be very small, and with FDA required rounding, it can be difficult to get an accurate idea of the values for the amount you are eating. In the case of Healthy Pop, the “popped” values for the serving size – 4 to 5 cups – is printed on the front of the carton.

The other thing you need to consider when comparing nutrition information is to make sure you are comparing like volumes/serving size of similar products. The number of cups of popped pop corn will vary by product based on the ratio of pop corn to other ingredients such as popping oil.
spixiet is offline   Reply With Quote