Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 11-11-2010, 11:01 PM   #1  
Back in the saddle again

S/C/G: 249/ticker/149

Height: 5'6"

Default Marshmallows

Been craving Rice Krispie Treats....badly...for days- no desire to buy a full box of Rice krispies...nor to eat all those calories. Add in the fact that Rice Krispie treats are my kryptonite - I'll eat an entire pan and not even blink - and this was not a craving that boded well for my plan.

But tonight, I spied the bag of marshmallows in the pantry, and I decided that they'd make a fantastic dessert. I toasted the marshmallows one at a time over my gas stove. Each one would take a couple of minutes to get it nice and gooey inside without burning too much. Four marshmallows (and 100 calories) later, I am completely satisfied with my yummy, sinfully sweet, choice - way more satisfied than I'd ever be after 100 calories worth of Rice Krispie treats -

and still under my calorie goal for the day
spixiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 11:06 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 140/122/105

Height: 5'1''

I love freshly toasted marshmallows! Good job on not going over your calories.
KatVee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 11:11 PM   #3  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

I make my own marshmallows, and flavor them up with all kinds of things...the most recent batches were double vanilla (vanilla extract and vanilla bean) and chai spice (sooo good). The chai spice ones were AMAZING toasted. They also make good gifts

Mmm. Glad you found a way to satisfy your craving in a calorie-controlled way.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 12:08 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 295/tkr/195

Height: 5'9"

WTG - Good compromise! I remember doing this in college with friends! I have been known more recently to cut a marshmallow in half, fit it onto a graham cracker and toast it in the toaster oven. Then drop a few mini choco-chips on top -- instant s'mores!
Jen516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 01:16 AM   #5  
Just keep breathing!

S/C/G: 191.7/191.7/145

Height: 5'5

How do you make your own marshmallows???
GradPhase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 01:30 AM   #6  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

They're basically just sugar, corn syrup, and gelatin...plus any flavorings you want. Make a sugar syrup, stream it into the gelatin while whipping, and whip in a standing mixer for about 10 minutes until they're nice and fluffy. You can make them with brown rice syrup or agave instead of the corn syrup, too.

http://www.marthastewart.com/recipe/...a-marshmallows
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 01:50 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 270/ticker/160

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandalinn82 View Post
I make my own marshmallows, and flavor them up with all kinds of things...the most recent batches were double vanilla (vanilla extract and vanilla bean) and chai spice (sooo good). The chai spice ones were AMAZING toasted. They also make good gifts

Mmm. Glad you found a way to satisfy your craving in a calorie-controlled way.
I make my own marshmallows too. I have a slightly different recipe than the Martha one---I think it came out of a King Author Flour catalog. So much better than store bought & really easy to make.

They make great gifts. I saw in Williams Sonoma they sell "home made" marshmallows & they are about $16 for 15 marshmallows, I think. I refuse to buy them just to tray---I know mine will be better.
jenjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 02:21 PM   #8  

i LOVE marshmallows AND rice crispie treats, they are both my weakness lol
ghostgirl811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 02:24 PM   #9  
Back in the saddle again

S/C/G: 249/ticker/149

Height: 5'6"

Mandalinn and Jenjen...have you ever tried to toast homemade marshmallows? Does it work the same, or do they "melt" (In my head, I'm thinking that they're fresh, so they may not hold up the same as somewhat-stale store bought).

They do sound fantastic...I saw a cooking show once where they rolled the fresh marshmallows (the cut edges) in crushed peppermints and added them to hot chocolate...and they made another set where they rolled them in crushed cinnamon grahams and then drizzled them with dark chocolate...not exactly on plan, but it'd make a great holiday gift
spixiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 05:59 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 270/ticker/160

Height: 5'7"

I haven't tried toasting mine. I know they melt well. I made my own version of Pinwheel cookies for my dad---choc cookie, marshmallow on top, dipped in choc. (Definitely weren't weight loss friendly, but wow they were good!) I placed the marshmallow on top when the cookies were still warm and they melted nicely. Next time I make them, which will be soon, I'll try toasting a couple.
jenjen is offline   Reply With Quote