Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 11-07-2010, 05:56 AM   #1  
hopeless but harmless

Height: 5' 5"

Default Oat-bran?

I read an article last week about the latest new 'superfood' for losing weight. It is oat-bran. Now! Over here in the UK we call your oatmeal, porridge oats. Is this the same as oat bran or is it something entirely different?
jojo23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 12:32 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 183/maintaining 135ish

Height: 5'6"

No, oat bran is the outside husk of the grain, that's usually removed in processing. It's mostly fiber, with little "food" value, and doesn't have much taste, which is why it was traditionally taken out when the grain was milled. (There is also wheat bran and rye bran.) Usually a light brown color and kind of thin flakes in consistency. Because it's pretty dry and tasteless by itself, usually people add a couple of teaspoons of oat bran on top of something else like cereal or yogurt. It might be shelved with the breakfast oats or in a separate health food or diabetic section depending on how your grocery arranges things. There are also packaged breakfast cereals made with part oat bran or wheat bran -- Raisin Bran (or Sultana Bran as they sometimes have here) is one. Any type of oats are still quite good in the weight-loss department because even without the bran they are fairly high in fiber and protein, so help you feel full longer. Especially if you have them with a little extra protein on the side like milk or yogurt, or an egg.

Maybe you can help me with something! I have a British whole grain bread recipe that calls for "porridge oats". In my grocery here in the Middle East they have from the UK: white oats and Irish oats (both look like what we would call rolled oats in the US -- sort of flattened) and pinhead oats (US = steel cut oats, more like chopped up pieces of the grain). It seems to me you can make porridge from both, but in the US "porridge" is mostly a word used in nursery rhymes so I don't really know. Which is more likely to be called "porridge oats" in a recipe, do you think?

Last edited by bronzeager; 11-09-2010 at 12:43 PM.
bronzeager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 04:09 PM   #3  
one choice at a time

S/C/G: 275/155/189/???

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo23 View Post
I read an article last week about the latest new 'superfood' for losing weight. It is oat-bran. Now!
Was that article written in 1985?

It's funny how these "superfoods" come and go in trends. It's like someone out there looks at the calendar and thinks "well, 25 years have gone by! I guess it's oat bran's turn again!"
carter is offline   Reply With Quote