Ways to use up spinach?

You're on Page 2 of 2
Go to
  • Quote: I sautee the spinach in olive oil & garlic, but also throw on one teaspoon of cumin, two teaspoons of smoked paprika, and then juice from half of a lemon. It's sort of Moroccan.

I also fill the bottom of a roasting pan with half the spinach, lay a niece piece of cod or haddock on it, then lay sliced lemons on the fish. Then I put the rest of the spinach on top of the fish. Then sliced tomatoes, sprinkled with parmesan, maybe bread crumbs if you want. Put a lid on the pan. Then stick it in the oven. The juices in the fish steam the whole dish. It's a sort of Fish Florentine dish.
    My dear, you can cook for me anytime.
  • Wow, this thread makes me wish that I bought another bag of spinach, for mine is almost gone. lol.
  • Chopped frozen spinach is really cheap and handy to keep in the freezer. I found a brand that freezes it in individual lumps of about a tablespoon each. I mix a couple up with an egg, and a bit of chopped up fat free cheese, and then microwave it in a ceramic mug for about a minute to make a scrambled egg patty. Spinach cheese McMuffin!
  • Quote: I mix a couple up with an egg, and a bit of chopped up fat free cheese, and then microwave it in a ceramic mug for about a minute to make a scrambled egg patty. Spinach cheese McMuffin!
    Oh what a great idea! I love breakfast sandwiches but scrambled eggs are usually pretty messy on them.

I steam a generous portion of spinach and eat it topped with spaghetti sauce.
  • I have a really easy go-to with spinach.

All you need is some spinach, one laughing cow or babybel individual piece of cheese (bleu or goat or gorgonzola works too), and some garlic or garlic powder. Cook the spinach and cut it into sections about 2-3 inches. Cut the cheese into tiny cubes and toss it like a salad. Sprinkle with garlic.

It's surprisingly delicious!
  • Saute some chopped garlic in a bit of olive oil, add your spinach and cook till it wilts. Add a drained can of white beans and heat through - delish! Its even better with swiss chard.
  • Quote: Oh what a great idea! I love breakfast sandwiches but scrambled eggs are usually pretty messy on them.
    Yes, I don't remember any more who taught me this, but it was probably at university, since all you need is a microwave and a mug -- just mix it all right in there. You can poach the egg too, without scrambling, but you do have to poke the yolk with a fork, because it will pop otherwise and make a mess. You can also put a saucer or something on top of the mug to keep that in. I usually micro for 30 seconds, stir to eliminate any uncooked spots, then another 30 seconds. You can tell it's done when it puffs up a bit.

I just love that Hyacinth photo.