Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 10-16-2010, 11:20 AM   #1  
Muscle Memory

S/C/G: 188/179/128

Height: 5'2"

Default Types Of Cinnamon

I didn't know there were different types of cinnamon. I found something called Korintje Cinnamon, which it says is the type of cinnamon we most remember from childhood. I tried it in my tea and it's great. It is that kind of cinnamon that I remember, like on cinnamon toast or cinnamon toothpicks, sort of spicy and tasty and tingly. It drops to the bottom of the tea and then when you drink it at the end it has a lot of flavor and sensation on the tongue, which can be nice if you are craving something like that. Thought I would share and pass this along in case anyone might enjoy it!
skygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 04:24 PM   #2  
The girl who can

S/C/G: 240/207.8/165

Height: 5'6"

Penzeys has a cinnamon blend with China cinnamon, Vietnamese cinnamon, Korintje cinnamon, Ceylon cinnamon. Delish!
Rochester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 04:44 PM   #3  
it's always something

I prefer Saigon Cinnamon. It has about twice the level of cinnamon oil and is amazing!

Chinese cinnamon is cassia, which is not actually cinnamon. It's still labeled as cinnamon and is what you'll find in almost all commercially sold cinnamon in America. It's the cheapest for manufacturers to use, and it's still legal here to label it as such (but not allowed in many other countries).

Korintje cinnamon has about 2.5% to 3% cinnamon oil. It is delicious!
Saigon has 5% cinnamon oil.

Ceylon cinnamon is also known as 'true cinnamon' and has a different flavor. It reminds me of the Red Hots candy I used to eat as a kid. Some people prefer it, but I didn't.
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 09:08 PM   #4  
Muscle Memory

S/C/G: 188/179/128

Height: 5'2"

Wow, even more types of cinnamon, cool, thanks! And here I thought I had found something unique to share, little did I know how much I have to learn.

I'm going to look for these other kinds you both mentioned, too.

A question, though, I didn't know cinnamon had oil in it (like I said, still learning), so does that make it something that needs to be restricted when counting calories? I thought it didn't have really any calories or fat. I want to make sure I'm counting if if I need to.

Thanks again!
skygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 09:15 PM   #5  
it's always something

I'm glad you brought it up, it's a nice topic

No need to worry about the oil in cinnamon. You won't get enough for a calorie A whole teaspoon has 6 calories and that's usually enough for a whole recipe of something yummy.
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote