3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Food Talk And Fabulous Finds (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/food-talk-fabulous-finds-17/)
-   -   Salad topping (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/food-talk-fabulous-finds/214140-salad-topping.html)

dudesmom 10-05-2010 03:22 PM

Salad topping

I know salad is a staple food during weight loss, but sometimes when I have one for lunch or dinner, it doesn't seem like enough. I've been putting lots of veggies on my salad, but I don't always like the way it makes the salad taste when I have huge chunks of carrot or cauliflower in a bite, or when all that stuff finds its way to the bottom of the bowl so I have to eat it by itself at the end. Anyway, I figured it would be better in smaller pieces, so I took 4 baby carrots, a big floret of cauliflower, and a couple of walnuts, threw them in my food chopper, chopped them until there were no big chunks, and topped my salad with it. I thought it was great! It didn't overpower my salad at all, it really clung to the other salad ingredients so that it wasn't all left in the bottom of the bowl, and really helped to fill me up. The salad itself was red leaf lettuce, english cucumbers, vine ripe tomatoes, and red onion, and I dressed it with light ranch dressing and ground black pepper. Very awesome, very filling, so I thought I'd share.

AnnieDrews 10-05-2010 03:42 PM

That is a great idea!! Thanks for sharing!!

I love bean sprouts on top of my salad. Crunchy, earthy goodness.

MadameZombie 10-05-2010 04:09 PM

Salad doesn't just have to be greens you know! I usually make half of it veggies, 1/4 some healthy grain, 1/4 some protein.

I have braces now so it takes me FOREVER to eat my salad because of how easily the wires get caught in the harder things like carrots and what not. I might have to employ this method so it doesn't take me an hour and a half (not kidding...) to eat.

WebRover 10-05-2010 08:42 PM

I love chopped salad and the idea of putting items in a food processor is great. My reasoning is the opposite of the OP, as I like to make sure that the toppings last all the way through the salad.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MadameZombie (Post 3509693)
I have braces now so it takes me FOREVER to eat my salad because of how easily the wires get caught in the harder things like carrots and what not. I might have to employ this method so it doesn't take me an hour and a half (not kidding...) to eat.

Another thing you can do with carrots or other hard veggies is cook them, then chill them before adding them to the salad.

leeshalulu 10-05-2010 08:52 PM

I am so going to try this tomorrow. I also hate it when I only have bits and pieces in the bottom of the bowl. I also like blending 1/2 avacado and 1/2 ripe tomato in the blender for a creamy fresh salade dressing. The avacado makes it rich and scrumptious tasting. Thanks for sharing that tip!