Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 09-25-2010, 10:18 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 175/ticker/130

Height: 5'6

Default Easy Low-Cal Bread?

Ok.

For a while I was really keen on just dropping bread completely from my diet. Here's the thing, while I CAN do it...I really don't want to. I'm finding myself obsessing over bread.

My main problem isn't bread itself...it's the fact that I live alone and buying a whole loaf is incredibly dangerous. I'll eat the whole thing in one day when I really get going!

So I'm wondering about making my own lower calorie but super healthy bread (i.e, lots of whole grain goodness.) that I can make tiny batches of instead of huge loaves.

Does anyone have any recipe suggestions? I'd like to be able to make small loaves or rolls. All I ask is that it be easy-ish to make and be reasonably altered for calories (I'm willing to splurge 300 calories on a roll, but that's it.)

Thanks, my loves! I'll be googling this, as well.
Shifterred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 02:22 PM   #2  

Check out Healthy Bread in 5 Minutes a Day by Jeff Hertzberg and Zoe Francois. I use her formula from Artisan Bread in 5 Minutes a Day on a regular basis with regular flour, though I have made it with King Arthur white whole wheat. The premise is that you mix up a VERY wet dough (no kneading), let rise, refrigerate, and use over a period of a week or two. It takes a bit of preplanning to take out the dough and let rise before baking. but that makes bread a special dish rather than a mindless accompaniment. You can also make just a single serving portion at a time which is what I do. The basic recipe I use is only flour, water, yeast and salt. I do not use any special equipment- just a good sheet pan and parchment paper. Good luck!

Last edited by tommy; 09-25-2010 at 02:23 PM.
tommy is offline   Reply With Quote