Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 09-21-2010, 04:24 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 175/ticker/130

Height: 5'6

Default Super Portable Foods?

Hey, chickies!

I'm a college student who lives off campus. I walk to and from campus two to four times a day. Yay, exercise.

Even so, on Mon/Tues I have classes and work from 8am-5pm and then have off until 6:00pm-8:00pm when I work again.

I tend to be able to eat breakfast (usually oatmeal or frozen waffles, about 300 calories.) And then I have to...not eat...until 9pm. I CAN go home from 5-6 but since it takes 30min to walk to and from school, it seems like a total waste of time. It certainly doesn't allow much time for food preparation.

I already lug around a 20lb book bag on these days. I would like to avoid having to haul a lunchbox around as well.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to super portable foods that I might be able to throw in my book bag and eat between classes? I once took a small bag of raw broccoli with me. It kept me from feeling like I was starving, but I also didn't feel satisfied and still ended up binging that evening.

In case anyone is wondering: Yes, there is a cafeteria available to me from 5pm-6pm. Unfortunately, I do not have a meal plan. Because of this, I would have to spend about 8-10 dollars per meal that I purchase on campus. I just feel like it's a lot of expense for foods that are frankly rather unhealthy.

I'm not used to this strange arrangement. At my previous college I always had the opportunity to eat three meals a day. Most of the times those meals were a bit questionable in regards to healthy options and they were often rushed due to time constraints, but there was never the necessity to just go without food all day.

Now I feel like I either have to load up at breakfast to make it through the day or make up for it at night by over-eating and binging on dinner. This will not do!

Thanks, chicks!
Shifterred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 04:57 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 220/197/160

Height: 5'-3"

Hi there - a few things that would be easy are: small cans of flavoured tuna with some crackers, veggies & dip/peanut butter, fruit or fruit cup, sandwich.
bandit2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 05:33 PM   #3  
Pretty harmless really...

S/C/G: Maintaining 142-148

Height: 5 ft 8.5" athlete who can give a punch & certainly take one too! :)

peanut butter & banana sandwich is portable & one of my faves!
evilwomaniamshe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 05:36 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 191/Ticker/140

Height: 5'3" Age 51

Granola bars (I buy the 100ish calorie ones), cereal bars, cheese sticks (they will do fine w/o refrigeration for a few hours anyway), 100 cal. (1 cup) of grapes in a ziploc bag (I always keep them in my tote bag because I don't like them cold), banana, apple, baggies of sugar snap peas and grape tomatoes (again, can eat them at room temp.), bagel or english muffin.

There are lots of options! Good luck to you.
AnnieDrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 05:53 PM   #5  

Can you cook where you live. Lean protein will keep you "full and focused". I agree on the cheese sticks. You can also do chicken cut in strips to eat out of hand or chunks to eat with a fork. Bring cooked and frozen and eat when thawed. That gap you have is way too long. Good luck and let us know what you come up with.
tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 12:03 PM   #6  
I luv my curves

S/C/G: 255/ticker/180

Height: 5'1 3/4

I rarely cook. so I have single servings of string cheese, laughing cow cheese, campbells hand held soups(love them) granola bars, fruits and veggis i must admitt im not really a veggie gal but Fruit and yogurts are always in my diet
Matilda08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 01:31 PM   #7  
natalie

S/C/G: 260/171.2/145

Height: 5'7"

Oh my, never go to school hungry! I learned my lesson with that. I never never never do that anymore. I'll eat an obscene amount of food when I get home if I do.

I know a lot of people on here try to do the "whole foods" thing and eating naturally, but I'm equal parts lazy and extremely poor. So, if it's convenient and moderately healthy I go for it. On my long days (solid classes from 8-2:30 with no breaks and me shoveling food in my face while I run to each class) I bring an apple, a 100 cal pack of almonds, a sandwich, and sometimes a bag of cut up veggies. I've also brought string cheese, a measured baggy of granola and different fruit. I bought one of those plastic sandwich boxes for a dollar I think, and I have another round plastic container for snacks so they don't get squished and I just carry them in my backpack.
oodlesofnoodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 12:52 AM   #8  
Back at It!

S/C/G: 238/220/170

Height: 5'4 1/2

You can buy pre-packaged cottage cheese (I just saw it in the stores today)!
Yogurt cups, fruit, nuts, fiber1 bars. You can buy frozen dinners and just stick it in your pack (if you have a microwave at school). I travelled around a good part of the world with a backpack and got used to packing light. Good Luck at school!
Jojo381972 is offline   Reply With Quote