Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 09-20-2010, 10:58 PM   #1  
Back at It!

S/C/G: 238/220/170

Height: 5'4 1/2

Default Cheeese Please!

I have a question about cheese. I like cheese a lot, but I seem to be having a hard time deciding or even finding low fat or no fat cheese. I read on here that a few people mention that laughing cow cheese is pretty low in points/fat. I have been eating reduced fat swiss, but I do miss my cheddar. I see low fat cheddar in the stores, but I haven't come across no fat cheese. Does anyone have any good ideas on low fat/no fat and good tasting cheese so I can get my cheese fix.
Jojo381972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 11:00 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 302/ticker/175

Height: 5'5"

Ugh - I don't like fat free cheese. I'd rather eat my shoe! Instead, I just make room for it in my eating plan and eat the real stuff.
fitkristi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 11:12 PM   #3  

Height: 5'4''

I prefer low fat as fat free is too flavourless for my likes
popspry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 11:38 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 405/216/205

Height: 6'4

http://www.peanutbutterboy.com/how-t...-quark-cheese/

Make this its awesome I put in in a food processor and add any spices I can think of. The texture is thick as heck.
tryhardforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 11:51 PM   #5  
False? Never. TROO!

S/C/G: 262/219/130

Height: 5'6"

re: laughing cow-

I love those tiny little cheeses. I get all happy just thinking about them and their yummy little foil-y goodness.
squidcandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 12:58 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 183/maintaining 135ish

Height: 5'6"

I've started to allocate my cheese calories away from the processed Laughing Cow type cheeses to stronger-flavored cheeses like Alpenzeller, Gran Padano (cheaper than the really good Parmesan, but very similar), goat cheeses, Boursin. You can shave or spread them really thin and get lots more flavor with less. I often use my vegetable peeler to make a tablespoon of shavings from the hard cheeses when I don't want to haul out and wash the grater. Then I put them on salads or in sandwiches topped with roasted vegetables.

Sam's Club started stocking some really good imported cheeses this year. That's where we got the Alpenzeller.
bronzeager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 12:26 PM   #7  
one choice at a time

S/C/G: 275/155/189/???

Nice profile picture!

Okay, if you have a middle eastern specialty grocery nearby, see if you can find some Nabulsi or Nablus cheese there. It's a lovely white brined cheese that clocks in at only 80 calories an ounce. That stuff is my life saver - I love it by itself, with apple slices, melted on flatbread, shredded into cooked vegetables, etc. etc.

I am with bronzeager, I would rather eat a small amount of a carefully chosen real cheese than spend my calories on less tasty non-fat substitutes that have lots of fillers like gelatin and salt and even sugar to make them taste like something. The Laughing Cow wedges in particular - processed cheese-like substance, to me, not close enough to actual food.

Goat cheese is an excellent option, if you can't find (or Heaven forbid, don't care for!) the Nabulsi.
carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 01:04 PM   #8  
Back at It!

Thanks for the responses. I agree that fat free cheese is tasteless and disgusting. I don't buy it.. well I bought it once and that was enough.

I think I'll stick with the low fat cheddar that I see by cracker barrel and other brands. I just won't eat as much. I also really like the laughing cow cheese, but I find it hard to just eat one or even two wedges just because it is sooo good.

Thanks for the recipe, tryhardforlife! I'll definitely check it out!

bronzeager: I'm not too fond of goat cheese, and I've never heard of the other cheeses you mention. There is no Sam's club here, but I do like Edam, Brie and Gouda.

carter: Love your profile pic as well.
I've tried Nabulsi cheese when I lived in the middle east. I agree that is is awesome!! I haven't seen it here yet, but I'll check out the only small Asian grocer in my city to find it. All this cheese talk is making me so hungry!

If I eat full fat cheese, then I am taking a chance, because I find mostly with cheese that it is hard to eat a very small amount. Anyone else with me on this?? I guess I don't have enough will power right now. I mostly don't buy cheese because I know I'll eat it. Woe is me!
Old 09-21-2010, 03:50 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 191/Ticker/140

Height: 5'3" Age 51

I love the Sargento Reduced Fat Colby-Jack Sticks. They are 60 cal. per stick. I bring them with my salad for lunch some days or have them w/ 100 cal. of grapes for an afternoon snack. My sons love them, too. Sargento also has the reduced fat Sharp Cheddar Sticks. Here is a link to all of their reduced fat products.

http://sargento.com/reducedfat/
AnnieDrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 04:03 PM   #10  
Workin' It

I've also seen Babybel cheese, which is pretty much the same as Laughing Cow I think? I believe it is available in Canada.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 12:55 AM   #11  
Back at It!

Thanks Annie! I'll check into those sticks!

Shannon.. great idea. I actually bought the Babybel lite cheese today. Each piece is only 1 points on the WW program. I know one piece is not enough, but it'll have to do for now! It was nice to see them on sale today! Cheese fixed!
Old 09-23-2010, 11:48 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 200/?/155 High:254

I strongly dislike the low-fat and no-fat cheeses (except american cheese, for that I buy the Kraft Sharp non-fat). So I decided I wasn't willing to give up the real thing and instead started eating cheeses that are naturally lower in fat and calories and have a stronger flavor so I would use less of them (lets face it, Mozzarella is so bland I'd have to eat a pound of it to be satisfied). Now my go-to cheeses are feta, sharp provolone and fresh parmesan (not the stuff in the can). Look for cheeses that are physically hard and dry, they have less milk fat. Unfortunately cheddar is one of the worst offenders in the fat/calories category so I limit it very much (even though it's one of my favorites )

Last edited by Bombe; 09-23-2010 at 11:49 AM.
Bombe is offline   Reply With Quote