Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 09-06-2010, 08:16 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 230/208/140

Height: 5'4

Default Bread Help :)

Ive been slowly but changing my eating habits for the better. Fattening deserts are now offically out and I am using lower calorie and lower fat options when making dishes. I'm also learning to cook so I stick to healthy nutritious recipes.

I'm still having a problem staying full conviently though. For example, I'm not a big fan of breakfast foods so today I had left over delicious honeyed carrot soup from yesterday. I still found myself hungry so I had two slices of toast with spread and jam. I feel as if I shouldnt have had those slices. I did consider fruit but I'm just sick of berries and can't afford any extra at the moment. Now that I think about it I should have had oatmeal.

I guess my real question is do you guys eat bread? Is their a healthy 'trying to lose weight' bread alternative? Do any of you make your own bread? I think bread is so appealing to me because its convienent, cheap, and goes with anything.

Any suggestions apprechiated
111707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 09:42 AM   #2  
weight, be gone!

S/C/G: 227/191/125

Height: 5' 4"

I definitely eat bread. I LOVE bread.

I may have cut back on the amount that I eat (bye, garlic cheese bread) but I still have it when I want. I'm not limiting on the type... I like white bread for a grilled cheese sandwich, for example...and a favorite toast bread is honey whole wheat. Eating bread isn't hurting my weight-loss efforts, my lowest weekly loss since beginning this has been 2 pounds.

Most recommendations I've read are saying whole-grain is a healthier alternative, but for me (as with anything I eat) moderation is key.

I'm the type that if I cut a food out completely I'll end up binging and ruining everything. I've done it before.
lolcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 12:05 PM   #3  
Shifty Werewolf

S/C/G: 285/209/165

Height: 5'5"

I definitely eat bread. I love Thomas' 100% Whole Wheat English muffins to toast. I really really love Arnold's German Dark Wheat bread for sandwiches. That stuff is yummy and 100% whole grain. And there's a local parmesian black pepper bread they just started making using whole wheat flour rather than plain old enriched flour so I've added that back into the mix occassionally.

I will eat other breads as well but I try to stick with whole grain. I could give up pasta, rice, and potatoes with little trouble but I am not sure I could give up bread. I'm certainly not planning on trying. And, like lolcat said, eating some bread every day hasn't really slowed my weightloss.
Vladadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 01:35 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 215.5/185.5/150

Height: 5'5"

I also need bread in my diet. It isn't negotiable.

So. I just try to use the healthy, whole grain, high fibre kinds. For lunches, when I take a sandwich, I use the sandwich rounds that are about 100 calories.

I will say that my whole family loves bread. I used to use my breadmaker 3-4 times a week. Sadly, my breadmaker is now in the basement. It was just too unhealthy for all of us.

Best wishes.
beth4365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 02:09 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 230/208/140

Height: 5'4

This is definitely encouraging. I had oatmeal bread. I'm still trying to get the whole grain vs. whole wheat advantages or vice versa.. but Ill just stick away from white for the moment. I do think that I need to worry more about avoiding fast food and fatty preperation methods of dinner then bread. The good news is that my sugar cravings and fast food cravings are slowly lessening.
111707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 02:47 PM   #6  

If you're worried about the carbs in bread, I eat a lot of La Tortilla low carb whole wheat tortillas. They're 10 carbs, 7 of which is fiber (so 3 net carbs), and only 50 calories. They're pretty good, and I eat wraps with them instead of sandwiches ALL the time
ValentineNicole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 03:01 PM   #7  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

Sometimes I feel I need to apologize for eating products with gluten, since so many avoid it or are against eating it. But I'm fortunate in that it causes no problem for me, and I can lose or maintain weight while eating about two thin slices of bread each day at breakfast. My digestion & moods are completely unaffected.

I make my own bread, more so when the weather is cooler, since I have a kitchen that overheats easily. That way, I know exactly what goes into it, whether it's whole wheat flour or rolled oats, butter or olive oil, yogurt or milk, honey or molasses. I get pleasure from handling it, the way a potter enjoys handling & molding & baking clay objects & pottery.

Occasionally, in warm weather, or when I haven't had time on the weekend to bake, I get store-bought bread: I prefer Ezekiel bread from Trader Joe's. The price is a little ridiculous, but it's good stuff. It's sprouted whole wheat & has a very granular texture on the tongue & palate.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 04:24 PM   #8  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I really like sprouted grain breads. You can find them at various health food stores. Ezekiel is one of the more famous brands but there are some others as well.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 06:32 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 198/155/140

Height: 5'9"

I also recommend sprouted grain breads. Ezekiel is becoming more and more of a diet staple for me... I have it for breakfast and make sandwiches, pizzas or have a slice on the side with soup/chili. I don't feel guilty eating it, I think it's just as nutritious as oatmeal and such.

There's also the low cal 40cals a slice bread (different brands)... I used to eat that, but I prefer the Ezekiel now since I think it has more nutrition in it.
ringmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 07:55 AM   #10  
I'm listening...

S/C/G: HW248;Current 198/135-139/140

Like Saef, I make my own bread, only in a breadmaker. My favorite recipe is a 100% whole wheat with some oat bran. I also replace the oil with unsweetened applesauce. Super yummy stuff!
losermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 09:53 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 326/265/185

Height: 5'8

I am not a fan of any of the (what I call) "healthy" breads... all the sprouts, nuts, berries, grains, etc... I've tried to eat them, but I just can't get past the "rough" texture (I have some OCD issues with food and problems with texture)

My solution to that is to get the Pepperige Farm Very Thin whole grain white bread (I'm do WW and it's 2 points for three pieces... makes EXCELLENT french toast using egg substitute and a bit of skim milk), and Arnold Sandwich Thins for burgers or sandwiches (1 point). I also like the La Tortilla Factory high fiber wraps (tomato basil flavor), and Thomas' bagel thins (1 point).

I typically skip eating rolls and bread with dinner now (like texas toast, biscuits, etc), because I don't know when to stop... and if it's put in front of me, I'll eat and eat and eat (Red Lobster, anyone??), so I try to avoid having rolls/bread with meals unless it's a sandwich of some sort.

Also, Nature's Own makes some "whitewheat" hot dog (and hamburger, I think) buns that are really good and only 1 point (I believe it's about 90 cals a bun, but has added fiber, so I guess that makes it better).
singingmua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 11:55 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 145/126/115

Height: 5'1"

Singingmua....those Red Lobster rolls are like crack. I always say I'm just going to eat one....and in reality its usually 3+ of those buttery things.

When I'm not gorging at Red Lobster, I try to limit my bread intake, but it's hard. One rule I have been able to stick with is keeping my bread carbs limited to breakfast and lunch.

And as others have said, I love those sandwhich thins!
DexterMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 05:33 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 183/maintaining 135ish

I eat much less bread than before, and so if I eat bread, it's gonna be GOOD bread. Not good for you necessarily, although a lot of it is, but yummy. No more squishy supermarket bread. Either from a bakery (or something similar like Panera that sells bakery style bread) or made myself. Somehow it's more satisfying that way. Also the slices tend to be smaller than the square squishy bread!

I tried the 100 calorie thin things, and wanted to like them, but they didn't taste of anything. So I have two smaller slices of fabulous crusty whole grain bakery bread that I know equal about 150 cal (weighed on the scale) and they make me much happier.

Last edited by bronzeager; 09-19-2010 at 05:33 AM.
bronzeager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 09:48 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 208/143/150

Nature's Own Stone Ground Whole Wheat is my favorite. It's 50 calories & 8 net carbs per slice.
joyful retiree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 10:02 AM   #15  

Height: 5'4''

I still regularly eat breads and while I am gradually lowering my carbs, I'm not a low-carber so on any given day I try to eat some whole-grain version of rice, pasta, or bread.
popspry is offline   Reply With Quote