salad dressing ideas

• I'm looking for some low-cal and healthy if possible salad dressings that of course taste good. I don't mind some healthy oils, so it doesn't have to be super low cal.

I usually use the Good Seasons dressing mixes with extra virgin olive oil and balsamic vinegar, I'm not really measuring things though, I do use alot less olive oil and more vinegar/water than it asks for and it lasts me entire week. But like I said, I'm not measuring how much oil I use so I just assume 100cals for it.

Maybe some ideas where I can easily measure and count out the calories?
  • There are actually 0 calorie salad dressings out there made by Walden Farms, I believe. I've only tried one, the italian dressing, and it was surprisingly decent. They have a website that lists all their products and where you can buy them. You may be able to find them at a local store relatively easily, because they are also a kosher item. I googled low cal dressings recently, and you can find recipes that give serving sizes and calorie counts that you can measure, though I find those are hit or miss as to what actually tastes goo. Mostly miss, from what I've found so far! Hope you find something that works well for you!
  • I love the Wishbone fat free Italian. But in the past I have used this on salads.....drizzle on olive oil, sprinkle w/ vinegar of your choice and then grind dried Italian seasoning over that. YUM!! (I buy the Italian seasoning in a grinder at my grocery store in the $1 section...it is so handy!)
  • I love this Blue Cheese recipe!
    Servings: 8 • Serving Size: 2 tablespoons • WW Points: 1 pt
    Calories: 41.7 • Fat: 2.6 g • Protein: 1.0 g • Carb: 29.1 g • Fiber: 0.3 g

* 1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese
    * 6 oz fat free yogurt
    * 1 tbsp light mayonnaise
    * 1 tbsp lemon juice
    * 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
    * 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
    * salt and freshly ground black pepper

In a small bowl, mash blue cheese and yogurt together with a fork. Stir in mayonnaise, lemon juice, vinegar, and garlic powder until well blended. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Makes 1 cup.
  • I really enjoy Ken's Steakhouse and Newman's Own Lite Balsamic vinaigrettes.
  • I buy balsamic vinegar (the best you can afford) and mix about 4 TBS to 1 TBS Dijon mustard, two or three cloves of finely minced garlic, pepper, 1 tsp honey, and 1 TBS olive oil. This serves two huge salads nicely if you don't like a ton of dressing, which I don't.
  • maries makes yogurt fetta,
    its not too many calories, and its per two tablespoons. i think it tastes great.

it was like 7 grams of fat compared to 24g in the ranch packet i was supposed to use on my salad from dominos.
  • I mix a few tablespoons of red wine vingear with 2 packs of Sweet N Low and 1/2 ounce of frozen blueberries (thawed in microwave, makes some juice!)
  • Here is an alternative I use when in a pinch - i squeeze fresh lime on my salad and mix in pico de gallo. It is actually very very good.
  • I like plain balsamic vinegar. You can add spices to your liking but to me it's good alone--and it's easy.
  • I've accepted a challenge to never buy salad dressing again:
    http://kitchen-parade-veggieventure....ing-again.html
    Which, for me, comes with the corollary "never throw away or recycle a salad dressing bottle again."

I usually start with with extra virgin olive oil and organic apple cider vinegar. Since oil and vinegar don't mix, to make a salad dressing you need something else as an emulsifier. For an emulsifier, I choose mustard or ketchup or homemade preserves or virtually any other jarred or bottled product in the refrigerator. I always add something sweet and find that I can use a smaller percentage of oil that way and that my husband will eat it. A favorite dressing for fall is evoo, apple cider vinegar, dijon mustard, and real maple syrup. I never measure and just call my dressing a fat exchange, but that's just me.