3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Food Talk And Fabulous Finds (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/food-talk-fabulous-finds-17/)
-   -   Anyone tried Falafel? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/food-talk-fabulous-finds/210364-anyone-tried-falafel.html)

3FCer344892 08-18-2010 04:27 PM

Anyone tried Falafel?

I was looking in the healthy aisle at kroger (what I call the "hippie aisle") after grabbing a box of red quinoa, because I had been wanting to try it. Well, I happened across a box of falafel mix and decided to try it since it was only $3.00. The brand is Fantastic World Foods, and the nutrition list looks pretty healthy. There's instructions on the back, and I think I'm going to try broiling it instead of frying it. I decided not to make the yogurt sauce that goes with it (I might try it if I like the falafel).

So, has anyone tried it? Does it taste weird?

mandalinn82 08-18-2010 04:32 PM

I like falafel. There's not really a lot to easily compare it to...but its tasty! I always bake mine - spray with a little olive oil and bake on a sheet pan. No need to fry, they get plenty crispy when you bake. I usually flip them so they get crispy on both sides.

If you like them, they're easy and cheaper to make from scratch. It's just chickpeas, spices, onion, garlic, and a bit of flour. You could even keep the ingredients on hand for a quick budget meal.

dudesmom 08-18-2010 04:36 PM

I made homemade falafel, and the recipe I used has you pan fry them in zero calorie spray instead of oil frying. They weren't bad, in fact, my 3 year old son loved it and asked for more "fa-waffle". I'll look through my recipes shortly and post if for you, incase you want to try.

BurlyQ of Borg 08-18-2010 04:37 PM

MMMMMMmmmmm.. FAAAALAAAAAFEL ::::drools::::....

Falafel is my comfort food. Give it a try. It's easy peasy to make.

Rosinante 08-18-2010 04:39 PM

I love street-bought felafel, and I've got a packet in my cupboard I mean to try. Sometime.

Called "Crunch Patties" in the Simpsons episode where Marge takes on a pretzel franchise.....

3FCer344892 08-18-2010 04:42 PM

Thanks, ladies! I can't wait to try it, and, mandalinn82, I probably will make them from scratch if I like them.

The box shows them stuffed in pitas, but, since I didn't buy pitas, I thought maybe I would either eat them on rice, quinoa, or a salad. Any suggestions?

dudesmom 08-18-2010 05:51 PM

Okay, I'm posting the link to the recipe I used, as far as I can tell it doesn't violate any of the rules for posting links, though I'm not sure! If it's taken down, please just PM me and I can post the full recipe. This includes nutritional info and a link to the cucumber dressing if you want it, though I would recommend making that a day in advance so the flavors have time to develop. http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/re...ipe_id=1571454

nelie 08-18-2010 07:16 PM

I love love falafel but I found the Fantastic Foods falafel on clearance not too long ago and I didn't like it. I've made my own baked falafel at home and it is good. Chickpeas are fairly cheap, cheaper if you buy them dried but canned isn't usually too badly priced. Another chickpea favorite is hummus :)

3FCer344892 08-18-2010 07:27 PM

Oh, I love hummus!

Thanks for the recipe!!

kaplods 08-18-2010 07:38 PM

I love falafel. People compare them to meatballs, but it's not a really good comparison. The texture is a bit like baked or fried (depending which you do) hushpuppies or balls of stuffing. They're essentially a bland flavor delivery device (the seasoning in the falafel and the onions/dressing are usually stronger than the chick pea flavoring).

Since they count in my exchange plan as both a protein and a carb, I usually don't eat them with another carb, but they're great as a side or a topping to a green salad.

My mom makes a similar pan-sauteed bean patty made with cannellini beans (white kidney beans). But instead of middle eastern spices, she uses italian - garlic, parsley, oregano and basil.

3FCer344892 08-19-2010 09:13 AM

Oh, I've had something similar to your mother's bean patties. My mother-in-law would make little patties out of black or kidney beans, and we'd eat them over rice. They were soooo good.

Actually, the box says that this is made out of garbanzo beans instead of chick peas.

miss scarlett 08-19-2010 11:33 AM

Serval, garbanzo beans & chick peas are the exact same thing! No worries. :)

And now I want falafel for lunch... yummmmmmmmm....

Bombe 08-19-2010 03:32 PM

Falafel is one of my favorite foods!! In my opinion though the tzatziki yogurt sauce is imperative to the dish!