Hummus?

• I've got some chickpeas at home I need to do something with, and I've heard a lot about hummus. I'm gonna try to find a homemade hummus recipe, but there's only one thing stopping me.

What the heck do I do with it then? I mean, I'm NOT a raw veggie fan - to the point I won't eat a veggie raw no matter what it's dipped in.

So how do you eat your hummus?
  • Make a hummus sandwich then.

Spread some hummus on regular or pita bread, then add toppings you like -- lettuce, tomato, roasted peppers, whatever.

Or have the hummus with crackers.

A.
  • Think it'd be good on a pita or toast with something like chicken or ham or whatever?
  • either eat it in a veggie burger or in a pita full of lettuce tomato olives cucumber and sprouts. I love it thinned down as a salad dressing too.

My recipe is so simple
    Chickpeas cooked or canned
    Yogurt
    Lemon
    Salt
    Asefotida(garlic subsitute)
    Tahini paste
    Blend it all together and taste to check if u want to add anything extra
  • Hummus is good with anything in my opinion. I used to eat spoonfuls of the stuff without anything with it.

Often hummus is served with toasted pita wedges so you can't go wrong there. I never thought of putting it on chicken or ham, but that sounds good.

It's your hummus, experiment and have fun.
  • If I made some tonight and refrigerated it, how long would it last?
  • I love to dip pretzels in hummus. So good my kids will even eat it too!
  • Unfortunately, I like it with tortilla chips---major binge food !!
  • i love hummus with turkey sandwiches.

what i normally do is:
    -1/2 pita
    - a few thin slices of peppered turkey
    -spinach or romaine
    -spread with hummus

the sandwich is around 200 cal, maybe a little less and very satisfying.
  • MindiV, hummus will last a week, and probably more like two, in the fridge. Maybe longer if you use a recipe that doesn't have yogurt. Beans are pretty sturdy!
  • Hummus is yummus! I especially adore it with sun dried tomatos.
  • i just eat it on crackers it goes bad pretty fast though the ones I bought will have to try to make my own also, I used it as a dip for chips before also mixed with some salsa i made was good
  • I take corn tortillas and brown them in a skillet (without oil) and then use them as my dippers for hummus. I have only recently discovered hummus and I love it. The corn tortillas and hummus helps curb the chip and dip craving and I have can have two tortillas and a serving of hummus for about 115 calories.
  • Tried homemade from a recipe, but didn't have everything I needed. It didn't turn out so well. May try some store-bought first, so I know what it's SUPPOSED to taste like, then make my own again.
  • My favorite thing to do with hummus is put it on a sandwich. I take 2 slices of sourdough bread and spread the hummus on them then I add some sliced tomato, a little Avocado and a slice of fresh mozzarella. In fact add a garden salad with vinaigrette and that's my standard lunch!