Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 07-25-2010, 12:05 PM   #1  
Fit Chick Summer 2013

S/C/G: 380/190/120

Height: 5'6

Default Share your favorite Condiments & Replacements!

Please share your favorite condiments and replacements for not so good condiments here. I'm not sure if a thread like this already exists I am new here but wanted to start one because I really need some ideas on how to swap out some bad condiments.

For example I really like miracle whip and I was getting the light miracle whip but I seen it has hydrogenated oils and lots of bad stuff so I was wondering if anyone knows a good substitute for that. Oh and also I can't stand mayo. I have heard of a vegan one called veganaisse but I haven't tried it have any of you tried it and what do you think about it? I also heard it is very expensive I found this recipe to make your own I might try but I don't have all the ingredients yet here it is if any of you want to try and post how you like it

INGREDIENTS
- 1/2 cup plain soy milk
- 1 1/4 cup safflower oil
- 2 tsp white wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp superfine sugar (maybe could sub stevia for this?)
- pinch of paprika
- 1/2 tsp mustard powder
- 1 1/2 tsp salt

METHOD
1. Put soy milk in a food processor and start processing. Slowly drizzle oil in while blade is running. When all oil is incorporated, stop blade and scrape down sides. Add remaining ingredients and process briefly to mix through.

If you want it a bit firmer, you can add in extra firm silken tofu. Or, if you want it lower fat you can sub in some tofu for the oil. This is more zingy like Miracle Whip, so cut down on the vinegar and sugar if you want it more like mayo.

I heard tofu and soy isn't too good for hormones though so anyone have any other non soy or tofu based recipes or products? Do you think it would be ok with unsweetened almond milk instead also?

__________________________________________________ ____________

Found another recipe thats a bit different:

Homemade Mayonnaise Recipe – Vegan Mayonnaise Recipe

Makes ¾ cup mayonnaise

½ cup soaked almonds (soak almonds for 8 hours)
½ cup purified water
Juice ½ lemon
3/4 tablespoon honey
½ tablespoon raw apple cider vinegar
1/8 teaspoon dry mustard
½ teaspoon sea salt
½ to 2/3 cup olive oil

Place all the ingredients for your homemade mayonnaise recipe in a heavy duty blender except the olive oil. Puree the ingredients until very smooth. With blender still in motion, slowly pour a thin stream of olive oil through the opening in your blender’s cover. Continue to puree until you reach the right consistency. Taste and adjust flavors to your liking.

Wonder if you could sub stevia for the honey also.

Last edited by going2bskinny; 07-25-2010 at 12:11 PM.
going2bskinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 01:24 PM   #2  
GmaTo8

Great recipes!

One of my favorites is Paul Newman's Honey Mustard Lighten Up dressing. It's 70 calories for 2 T. and I spread it lightly on turkey sammies, eggs, chicken breasts, and of course, lettuce. The proceeds from of all his sales goes to charity - 200 MILLION dollars so far. Can't beat that!

For a wonderful selection of delicious condiments, go to www.ifancyfoods.com and check out all the condiments there! The Paula Deen peach dressing is much lower in price then on her own website. Check out all the other condiments. I've tried and love many of them!

Not really a condiment, but I just love to add a can (or fresh) diced tomatoes to soup, and other foods, to make more quantity and nutrition.
Jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 04:55 PM   #3  
Fit Chick Summer 2013

Thanks that sounds really good I'll have to look for it! I really like this garlic mustard from trader joes too http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_oZHDTPtu-u...0/P4130194.JPG it tastes really good on sandwiches but I made some chicken salad and put a little bit of it in there and it was so good. It tastes really strong of garlic though so if you dont like garlic I wouldn't suggest it but it really kicks up the flavor in like chicken salad egg salad and would probably be good in potato salad too or just about anything you want to use mustard for could even make a make a marinate with it for the grill would be good too probably.

Thanks for that site I'm gonna check it out for sure! The diced tomato trick is great too thanks
Old 07-27-2010, 11:27 PM   #4  
Fit Chick Summer 2013

anyone have a good replacement for butter that doesn't have any hydrogenated oils or trans fat
Old 07-27-2010, 11:43 PM   #5  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

Butter from cows that ate grass has healthy fats in it, so that's what I use, but not a lot! I get it at Whole Foods -- they call it pastured butter.

Yogurt cheese is strained yogurt. It has a texture kind of like whipped cream cheese. I make it from nonfat yogurt, then mix it with high-fat things to make natural low-fat spreads. I do this most often with mayo and peanut butter. I actually like my spreads better because they are more creamy and less oily. I started out mixing it half and half, but now I use about 2/3 yogurt cheese and 1/3 of the other stuff. Yogurt cheese also makes a good topping for potatoes or just about anything where you'd use a dollop of sour cream.

I sometimes put cottage cheese through a food processor to give it a more spreadable texture. That's another very creamy condiment that is low calorie and natural.
gardenerjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 12:22 AM   #6  
Fit Chick Summer 2013

oh wow that sounds really good thanks so much for sharing I'll try it out.
Old 10-07-2010, 12:11 AM   #7  
Be Healthy...

S/C/G: 288/267/238

Height: 5'5"

A lover a big flavor, I have learned to substitute horseradish sauce for mayo...has very few calories if any.
fattiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 06:12 PM   #8  
a new me

S/C/G: 200/192/145

Height: 5'2"

I've tried using Greek yougurt. Not much though since it can make your bread soggy.
I use Greek yogurt in place of lots of things though. Sour cream in my tacos or recipies that call for sour cream. No one in my family has complained yet. Well DH is not so much of a fan in tacos, but in something, he never knows
lovemacon is offline   Reply With Quote