Delish Mexican shredded flank steak in crockpot

• It's a low-fat cut but you have to marinate it to death or cook it to death for it not to be tough - this makes a lovely spicy shredded beef for tacos, burritos, tostadas, lettuce wraps, etc.

Either use leftovers (I used leftover bbq flank steak) or sear both sides in a pan with a little oil

In the bottom of the crock pot put one sliced onion, one small can of hot mexican tomato sauce (I use 'El Pato') one cup of water, 2 t cumin, 2 t oregano, and 1 T of vinegar (white or balsamic both work great.)

Add seared flank steak. Cover and cook all day on low, remove from the pot and shred the meat with a fork; return to the sauce. My husband loves this on a crusty french roll with avocado; I usually opt for a lighter meal and wrap some in a romaine leaf with a little nonfat sour cream and salsa. Low carb tacos!
  • That sounds great! I LOVE your to do list on your signature. Good one!
  • Flank steak can actually be marinated or just season and quickly broiled (flipping when first side gets brown. Then let it rest so all the juices do not run out when you slice it. Make SURE to slice it against the grain, into thin slices. This is great on its own, leftover in a salad, etc.