The Salad Thread! (and other lunches)

• I was thinking it would be motivating if we could each contribute one idea each for lunch
    Every day I struggle to think of something new for lunch and it is the one meal I find it hard to be creative with.

I am trying to cut down on the amount of tuna I eat because of the mercury levels, but other than substituting it for chicken I tend to be a bit lazy and end up not having a proper lunch.

If you can post a pic of your favourite healthy lunch I think it would be really inspiring

I'll go first:

Ingredients:

• Rocket leaves
    • Half a can of tuna
    • Bell peppers, sliced (any colour)
    • 2 or 3 radishes, sliced
    • 2 large tomatoes, sliced
    • Cucumber
    • 1 boiled egg (optional)
    • Dressing is simply 1 Tbsp olive oil, 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar

Mix well
  • Ok, I'll play!

I guess it's a hot salad

1 whole portobello mushroom, chopped
    1 small onion, chopped
    1 tsp olive oil
    1 roasted red bell pepper, chopped
    3/4 cup leftover black forbidden rice
    2 Tbsp sweet soy glaze (by China Blue)
    two cups of fresh baby spinach leaves

Saute the mushrooms and onions in the olive oil in a nonstick skillet, over medium heat (or lower) till soft. Add in the rice and cook till heated. Stir in the soy glaze and the roasted red pepper. Place your spinach leaves in a large bowl and top with the rice mixture and toss lightly. Spinach will wilt but retain color.

If packing for lunch, cook everything ahead and pack the spinach separately. Heat the rice mixture in a microwave then blend with the fresh spinach.

Also delicious with shrimp!

Btw, I also make the same thing but instead of the soy glaze I use a good balsamic vinegar. I consider it a Mediterranean stir fry

• Yayyy! That looks so nice! Thanks
  • Mmm!

I usually just do lettuce with tuna and will chop up whatever miscellaneous veggies and throw them in. I am concerned about the mercury levels as well so I have it less than what I would like.

But as for salad ideas, I have no creativity. I'm glad you started this because maybe then I will learn some new recipes I can try!